How many Horns? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many Horns?

Cranmaro99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I know that in my LS1 Camaro, those cars come stock with two horns: a low frequency horn and a high frequency one. Most of the time the low frequency horn dies first on those cars, leaving the horn sounding like it's from a geo metro or something.

Well I bought a 2001 Explorer and the horn sounds like it should be out of a toyota or something, and was wondering how the horn system works in these cars. Is it like the F-body GM's where there are two horns, and that my low freq one isnt working?

Or are these how the horns sound?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The horns on my '97 are very robust! Altho I'm having a problem at the moment getting them to work. Everything checks out OK..just no toots. I connected a set of new 130 dB horns directly to the battery and compared them to my old horns...the old horns are far superior...much louder than the ones I bought at Auto Zone...which are going back tomorrow.

Still trouble shooting this very irritating problem.

I'd suggest you remove your horns and connect them directly to your battery to check out the sound levels. One of them may have gone bad...or perhaps you've got dirty connectors...

The horns on my '97 are very robust! Altho I'm having a problem at the moment getting them to work. Everything checks out OK..just no toots. I connected a set of new 130 dB horns directly to the battery and compared them to my old horns...the old horns are far superior...much louder than the ones I bought at Auto Zone...which are going back tomorrow.

Still trouble shooting this very irritating problem.

I'd suggest you remove your horns and connect them directly to your battery to check out the sound levels. One of them may have gone bad...or perhaps you've got dirty connectors...

Oh ok, so there ARE more than one horn on these vehicles?

The horn system on the Explorer is the same as on your Camaro, two horns: a low tone and a high tone. When I got my Explorer only the high tone was working and it was the wire connector to the low tone was really loose so I just cut the connector off, stripped the end of the wire and electrical taped it on...a ghetto fix, but it's worked fine ever since :D

Haha cool, I'll check it all out. I wonder why the low freq. horns always go out first! (Or why they even have the high pitched horn, lol)

Haha cool, I'll check it all out. I wonder why the low freq. horns always go out first! (Or why they even have the high pitched horn, lol)

It's so that you'll replace it when it DOES fail..

Nobody likes to hear their vehicle toot like a Prius.. :p::p::p:

I was under impression that ALL vehicles should have two (low/high) frequency warning sounds, for reasons related to pedestrians with hearing problems.

I was under impression that ALL vehicles should have two (low/high) frequency warning sounds, for reasons related to pedestrians with hearing problems.

It'd be nice if they did but unfortunately that isn't the case...my friends civic only came with one high note horn from the factory, sounds terrible :roll:

I don't know how the Japanese imports get in this country... They don't seem to obey the same rules like the rest of the world (US/EU/Australia).

Back