How many miles on original 3rd Gen Tranny? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on original 3rd Gen Tranny?

111,000 had her since 04 with 36,000 haven't touched the tranny yet. Still shifts smooth as butter. I baby her though. No extreme towing or burning rubber etc. If motor or tranny does go pm me I won't fix it and will lots of mint parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had my tranny filter and fluid changed at 112k miles just to be sure. Mechanic said the fluid was nice and clear. Guess I'll do it again in a few years.

I have 118K miles on my 2002. I had the fluid/filter changed back when it had 34K miles on it only because I had it in the shop for some minor warranty issues delt before the warranty expired. I've not had the fluid/filter changed out since. The tranny started to have the typical "issues" when it had 85K miles on it. The tranny had that typical "clunk" when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd when coming up to a stop light. For whatever reason that "clunk" went away. Now, the issue is the typical non-smooth upshifting from 2nd to 3rd. It is more apparent when under high acceleration and pretty much non-existent if you accelerate slowly. I also get a "clunk" when putting it in reverse most of the time if I put it in reserve immediately after starting the car versus waiting 20 seconds for the idle to come down to 850 RPM or so. I'm not far from taking it in for a rebuild. I'm expecting a pricetag of $2500 to $3000. Does that sound about right?

I should point out I used to tow two horses with a horse trailer. I have the tow package with transmission fluid cooler.

Made it to about 134k on my 2002 before I had to have the transmission rebuilt Servo/bore was the problem I think it was. Hopefully if I am lucky it will make it much much further 154k now.

02 - 04 Explorer Auto Xmission

After trans replacement at 70K; found out that if you change fluid every 35k, it will last longer...

133k--never touched--still shifts smoothly--knock on wood

Had to replace 3rd band and servo with fluid and filter at 140,00 did myself, didn't want to buy a reman. has 150,000 and has no problems

05 XLT, 126K on untouched transmission. Changing the fluid and filter as soon as I have the down time.

117,000 on my 2003. Just did a pan drop and filter replacement. Pan was clean (no parts) and had the tiniest bit of shavings on the magnet. Fluid was a slightly browned red color and smelled fine. Considering what I've been doing with it the last 2 years, not too shabby. Will probably do a full flush this time next year.

153,x.. mi. Mild 2-3 up-shift issue. Pan drop, filter & fluid change. Discolored fluid and clean pan. (no burn smell) Shifts perfect now. Recent purchase, so no idea what the previous owner did, but the fluid had been in there for a looooonnnng time. I assume it was original. Hope to get another year or two out of it before the servo bore gets too sloppy. Clean, purdy, fancy little truck. Well worth a rebuild if the transmission gives up. <shrug>

Art ;)

'03 4.0 5R55W tranny

Bought the truck at 36k changed fluid and filter at 90k flashing OD light at 106k replaced broken OD servo and intermediate servo myself with transmission still in truck for $250 (FordServoBoreFix.com) did a band adjustment and fluid/filter change again. Transmission shifting great and now at 110k.

Sorry Provokr,

You'll have to make a few more trips.;):D
I have ran Amsoil every where in the car since 60k ( I did a valve block replacement then) and I now flush every 60k. Filter change every 2nd flush.
Have flare between 1st and second just started Saturday. I'm going to do the OD servo valve replacement and run her till at least 300k. Original engine also. Still gets 18 MPG, and doesn't use oil. I change oil every 15 to 18 k.

D

Attachments

• IMG_0396 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0396 (Large).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 533

Sorry Provokr,

You'll have to make a few more trips.;):D
I have ran Amsoil every where in the car since 60k ( I did a valve block replacement then) and I now flush every 60k. Filter change every 2nd flush.
Have flare between 1st and second just started Saturday. I'm going to do the OD servo valve replacement and run her till at least 300k. Original engine also. Still gets 18 MPG, and doesn't use oil. I change oil every 15 to 18 k.

D

Impressive. That must be mostly highway miles?

Impressive. That must be mostly highway miles?

It is mostly highway miles. However, I do tow a couple trailers with it hauling fence posts and the like for the farm here. I tow a Ven Trac tractor around to the church for work sometimes (only 15 miles but hilly).
I am a small business owner (of which I am the chief cook and bottle washer) who provides technical maintenance services to the manufacturing industry, power generation, etc.
I used to travel 8 hours one way once a month for three years to one customer. My longest travel now is 4 hours one way once a month. I set the cruise and go. The drivers side car seat is worn out now though, and it's hurting my back. It has never been real comfortable on long trips, but it's been all right.
I'm now debating between another exploder or a F-150 with the the eco engine since I tow some.

Bought my truck with 40k or so on the odometer, so unsure if there were any filter/fluid changes before it came into my hands.

I did a fluid and filter change at 45k, and again at 60k when I swapped in a new solenoid block to take care of the hard D and R engagement.

I am planning to install the o-ringed servos at some point in the next few months along with a band adjustment. It is recommended that another filter and fluid change be performed after that mod to get any aluminum shavings that might have been introduced. I may drop the valve body at the same time I do that and modify the "cold start" valve to get full transmission cooler flow all the time so that should drop average fluid temps significantly. After that I'll probably stick to fluid/filter changes every 20k.

I do have a deep pan with dipstick that I was thinking about installing but I will probably just sell it. If anyone is interested PM me.

193k on original tranny. drain fill at 100kish. about to do it again. occasional tc slap. rear wheel bearing gone put twice so far

127K. No fluid, or filter change. And....it's dead! Time for a new one.

Coming up on 150,000 2002 XLT 4.6. I am the second owner, bought it from my brother. Pan drop filter change and refill every 30,000 miles.

dismal, 50k blew out third gear. 50k later on the rebuild its still going good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanted to know if all Explorers have the same type of transmission cooler. Are they cooled using the radiator or a separate cooler like mine that's about the same size as the radiator?

Back