How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

If it's the rack and pinion, you'll be sorry! They are very difficult to replace in these trucks. You have to remove the front suspension, axle, exhaust system, transmission, transfer case, separate the A/C lines, etc. and then raise the engine off the motor mounts eight inches to get the steering gear out. I have done it and it wasn't much fun. :eek:

Not sure why you went through all that... I've replaced mine twice. Once because of a leaky rack, and the second time for a warranty replacement of the new one. Only thing I did was disconnect the outer tie rods, the power steering cooler and the power steering lines. Then I slid it back and forth in the cross member and removed it. Now don't get me wrong, it's no cake walk but definitely not THAT hard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure why you went through all that... I've replaced mine twice. Once because of a leaky rack, and the second time for a warranty replacement of the new one. Only thing I did was disconnect the outer tie rods, the power steering cooler and the power steering lines. Then I slid it back and forth in the cross member and removed it. Now don't get me wrong, it's no cake walk but definitely not THAT hard.

The difference must be your V6. Trust me, sliding it back and forth with the V8 and then pulling it out without raising the engine eight inches is not possible. Believe me, if there was any other possible way of doing this without all that other work, I would have done it. There is only about an eighth of an inch clearance between the oil pan and the rack, and the engine oil cooler hangs down right in front of it. It really is THAT hard. The only other way of doing it would be to pull the engine first.

The difference must be your V6. Trust me, sliding it back and forth with the V8 and then pulling it out without raising the engine eight inches is not possible. Believe me, if there was any other possible way of doing this without all that other work, I would have done it. There is only about an eighth of an inch clearance between the oil pan and the rack, and the engine oil cooler hangs down right in front of it. It really is THAT hard. The only other way of doing it would be to pull the engine first.

Aaahh... I didn't see you had the V8. Sorry about that. You're right, that's probably what the difference is. :thumbsup:

210k and putting on 100 a day with new job...

Hit this 4/18/15 afternoon

exp111111.jpg

Bought this '98 with 194,788 miles on it yesterday for $800. Real good running 4.0 OHV auto 4X4. Needs some cosmetic TLC and fluid changes but otherwise mechanically sound.

DSC00583.jpg

DSC00585.jpg

Nice score. Looks good.

Nice score. Looks good.

Thanks Al. Sold the 2000 XLT. Put the money I had in it and some back in the bank and bought this with the rest.

1997, 5.0, 2WD, 167K miles

Got it at 150K, and just lost the water pump. About to approve mechanic to pull the engine and do proactive replacements so I can join the 300K club.

Here is a list provided by Turdle of thing to replace. Any other replacements you guys would do while engine is out? From browsing this thread I think this is a really solid list.

Oil pump and screen
water pump
timing chain
intake gaskets
injector o rings
thermostat
rear main seal
transmission front seal

Minus intake gaskets, injector o rings and oil pump I have a quote for $1300, I think that is pretty reasonable but I'm not an expert- what do you guys think? About to inquire about the rest of this list plus any other good ideas yall have

1996 2dr 4x4 4.0 auto. Paid $1000 4yrs ago have replaced p/s pump, radiator, front hubs, shocks, and as I was at about 290,000 the lower intake gasket failed and let my oil and coolent get a good mix. Engine, transmission and transfer case transplanted from a 95 with 40,000 less miles. Body is now over 300,000 so that puts the drive train at about 260,000. It has some minor issues but I will get them sorted out. Runs great and doesn't leak. I am starting to get the 2/3 flair in this transmission now when it gets warm.

98 XLT 5.0 139,x..
29vcqcj.jpg

i have 264,x.. on my 98 eddie

83,000 2000 explorer bought with 58,000 year and half ago for $830 in police surplus auction, replaced so far most everything underneath because it sat in gras for a year or so at a police station and got rot.
replaced transmission cooler lines e-brake cables in rear brake line to 4 wheels and accross the rear diff , power streering lines,exhaust front to back , 4x4 transfer motor, shackles, spring helpers fuel tank with pump and all parts , fuel fill tube. and now today the hoses, calipers all around rotors misc intenals to brakes . front diff, all in all probally $5,000 spent on repairs since purchase still lovin it

i got 225,x.. on my 97 v8 5.0... it was picked up in an emergency for $900 after my new car had to go away with a nice man :( - that said it is a fun drive more than i expected the previous owner sadly put more effort into having a very large stereo than they did making sure the car actually drove... i have been slowly fixing it over the last year or so...

replaced groaning ball joints replaced the dumb 20 inch rims that had different sized tires on them! (sold the rims for 300 got second hand from salvage yard for 100 *LOL* )

still got some niggles ABS light CEL but it is bullet proof and just goes like a tank... and playing shopping cart shuffle board in a parking lot is epic!

never thought i would have so much fun in an old car ( it s technically older than the first new car i got which was a 98 renault) i will be sad if i have to give this one up.

My 01 XLT just hit the 68k mark yesterday !

My whine from the rear end turned out to be a U-joint. That and an EGR valve, and my black beauty is on the road again, sounds and runs normal again. Turned over to 253,000 on a trip this past weekend.

2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock except for K&N filter and 2000 real RMS watt sound system.
177,879 miles. Has never stranded me. Its been in 4 accidents, none my fault, and it still looks great.

Today the thermostat bypass hose blew and I am looking on this site for info.

255 grand on my 2001 4.0 sohc Sport! I got her used so I have no idea how she was treated, although there was some front end damage. I take care of her now but her unknown history hasn't slowed her down. Like Sirdigalot this was an emergency buy for $1500 two years ago! I'm happy with the results;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

148508 miles on my 97 and 167148.9 on my 95 :) long way to go haha

Back