How much trouble am I in? Late oil change. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much trouble am I in? Late oil change.

Precision

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
I have a 2000 5.0 with 119,300 on it. My last oil change was 112,000 and I used GTX synthetic blend with a quart of Marvels mystery oil. I checked my dip stick before start up this morning and I was half way between the bottom of the dip stick and the first hole or MIN line. I have been so busy I haven't been able to get my damn oil changed which is unlike me, I know its important. I added one quart and it brought it to the MIN hole and another to bring it to full. I am getting my oil changed tomorrow or tuesday I am just worried I messed something up. What do you think? The vehicle has had religious oil changes with synthetic since new every 5k. Until now of course.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

7K seems slightly longer than a normal interval, even for a high quality semi-syn like Castrol GTX Syntec or SynBlend. A used oil analysis (UOA) shouldn't be necessary although you might consider one with your 119K mileage. Check for any grit or sentiment with your fingers, and inspect on a clean paper towel. I would avoid additives or treatments including MMO, unless you have a sludge problem. More importantly, use a quality oil filter. Most here agree, the Motorcraft FL-820S is time proven and hard to beat priced below $5. Another thing to consider is switching to a FULL synthetic oil for the small price difference. Semi synthetics or blends contain no more than 30% full synthetic oil, and may be low as 10%. Your oil consumption is a concern, check the level frequently and watch for leaks, possibly a compression test if it increases. GL

Semi-synthetic oils (also called 'synthetic blends') are blends of mineral oil with no more than 30% synthetic oil designed to have many of the benefits of synthetic oil without matching the cost of pure synthetic oil. Motul introduced the first semi-synthetic motor oil in 1966.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Oil Filter Cut-Away Comparison
http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/Oil_Filter_Cutaway_Comparison.pdf

Oil Filters Revealed
http://minimopar.net/oilfilters/index.html

The last oil change had 4.5 quarts of oil and 1 quart MOM. That may have something to do with why it was so low. But as long as it's not fatal and I can bounce back from it I will rest easy

The last oil change had 4.5 quarts of oil and 1 quart MOM. That may have something to do with why it was so low. But as long as it's not fatal and I can bounce back from it I will rest easy

Nothing you can do about turning back the clock. Change it the first convenience and stop stressing about what will amount to a non-issue.

Bill

Synthetic oil is supposed to be good for that long. I'd be more careful on running it that low on oil though....

Back