How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

Many Thanks synyster

I am brand new to this site. I stumbled across while trying to figure out the problem at hand. I am by no means a mechanic. I am however on a budget. The information provided by synyster was epic. I didn't have to spend 1 dime out of pocket. I already had all of the tools necessary as well as the butter knife!!! I had it fixed in 1/2 hour. The pics/instructions were spot on. Now I can concentrate on the grinding in the front end when I turn to the right. Only when I turn to the right.

Thanks again synyster!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The information provided by synyster was epic. Thanks again synyster!!

I agree, kudos to synyster:thumbsup:

I have the same problem as you with the noise when turning. I believe I have a bad wheel bearing. Did you try doing a search for that problem yet? I found a whole boat-load of info on it. :salute:

I am brand new to this site. I stumbled across while trying to figure out the problem at hand. I am by no means a mechanic. I am however on a budget. The information provided by synyster was epic. I didn't have to spend 1 dime out of pocket. I already had all of the tools necessary as well as the butter knife!!! I had it fixed in 1/2 hour. The pics/instructions were spot on. Now I can concentrate on the grinding in the front end when I turn to the right. Only when I turn to the right.

Thanks again synyster!!

no problem.... i got tired of having my lights come on everytime i hit the defroster on. haha...i had to ride around with that the whole winter.

im leanin towards the wheel bearing....i have a sound when i turn right only but i've been to lazy to check it as of late...i'll get around to it soon tho as i have to do an oil change in a couple miles.

no need for the thanks..just glad to help out. I searched for the problem for weeks on end and there was nothing on the net...so why not put it up there and save people some time.

Did mine today...6 broken/cracked wires on a 2002 Eddie Bauer. Nice to have everything working again!! Thanks for the info!!

Good deal. This forum and the posts are awesome. It is nice to have it all working isn't it!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

How to take door trim off.

I am having the problem of the drivers door showing as "ajar" but it's closed. I'm assuming its this sensor inside the door.

Am I understanding this correctly that a possible fix is to spray wd40 up inside the door by the hinge?

If i do need to raplace the sensor how do i take the door trims off with out breaking anything? I found the two screws under the door but how do I get to the upper one?

Thank you

The sensor isn't in there by the hinges. It's actually in the latch mechanism. Give the latch mechanism on the back of the door a good spray of wd-40. If you check your maintenance recommendations in your manual it actually says that you should periodically lubricate ALL of your latches.

I am having the problem of the drivers door showing as "ajar" but it's closed. I'm assuming its this sensor inside the door.

Am I understanding this correctly that a possible fix is to spray wd40 up inside the door by the hinge?

If i do need to raplace the sensor how do i take the door trims off with out breaking anything? I found the two screws under the door but how do I get to the upper one?

Thank you

To find the third screw you have to remove the part of the door with the window/lock buttons on it. Once this is removed and the wires unplugged you will see the third screw.

Hi, THanks for the post.

How do i get that window switch bezel off without breaking or cracking anything. Does it come strait up? Clips? Any tips would be appreciated.

I used a flathead screwdriver and carefully pried mine up slowly...once I got it started it came up easy enough.

How do you remove the trim above the door handle? Is there any trick to this or is there area to start at that is better than another. These pix's a great! I have already recommended this to a buddy with an expedition. The best website I have ever seen!

How do you remove the trim above the door handle? Is there any trick to this or is there area to start at that is better than another. These pix's a great! I have already recommended this to a buddy with an expedition. The best website I have ever seen! Synyster is God!

How do you remove the trim above the door handle? Is there any trick to this or is there area to start at that is better than another. These pix's a great! I have already recommended this to a buddy with an expedition. The best website I have ever seen! Synyster is God!

Here is a great thread on removing the door panel, thanks to borland: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

I hope this helps! :salute:

Just like hooked on phonics...

wd40 worked for me.

I hate this POS exploder. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What I wouldn't do for a first gen 2 door with manual 4wd with posi, 5 speed and MANUAL EVERYTHING!!!!!

Holy Cow! WD-40 Worked! Easiest fix for the door ajar light staying on.

That's the simplest fix I've had to do yet on my wife's explorer. The WD-40 blasting the hinges & the latches (that meets the door striker bolts) worked like a charm. Couple good shots of the stuff, opened & closed the door a few times, and all fixed. Kudos to all you techs on this site that post this stuff. Helped out a ton. Saved me opening up the door panels. Many, many thanks!

Great pics, thanks for the help, but after searching, my problem was a broken ground on the passenger side, behind the kick panel. The ground goes from below the fuel reset actuator to the door boot or close to it. The problem is I cannot find the other end of the wire in the door. There doesnt appear to be a black wire with that heavy of gage. I also cannot find a matching broken wire inside the kickpanel anywhere. Any ideas where I should be looking for the other broken end of this wire?

Great pics, thanks for the help, but after searching, my problem was a broken ground on the passenger side, behind the kick panel. The ground goes from below the fuel reset actuator to the door boot or close to it. The problem is I cannot find the other end of the wire in the door. There doesnt appear to be a black wire with that heavy of gage. I also cannot find a matching broken wire inside the kickpanel anywhere. Any ideas where I should be looking for the other broken end of this wire?

i do recall there being a wire that grounded near the inertia switch. are you sure it didnt break off from something, like a connector of some sort?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya, I'm thinking it was a connector or some other harness. Its just not in the door. Here is a pic, I unhooked the inertia switch and you can see it right below. It almost doesnt look stock but there is no non factory alarm or electronics added to the car. Any ideas what harness or connector it goes to?

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/djllapit/?action=view&current=wire.jpg

Call me crazy but that looks aftermarket. Like someone was grabbing ground. Just my thought.

- Rondo

Back