How To: Rear Dome Light LED Replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Rear Dome Light LED Replacement

I am going to remove the OEM LED chips and solder in these.
Amazon product ASIN B01DBZIDK4
How did these LED's work out for you? I'm wondering if they have held up well (I don't want to do this project twice) and how did you solder them since they have the positive and negative coming off opposite sides of the LED? Any Pics? Thanks.

How did these LED's work out for you? I'm wondering if they have held up well (I don't want to do this project twice) and how did you solder them since they have the positive and negative coming off opposite sides of the LED? Any Pics? Thanks.
You may not get an answer from the member since the last time he was seen here was August 6, 2021.

Peter

I did the same mod with a led bulb. It worked out well. I removed the led chip with pliers very carefully and then plugged the lamp in and touched the wires from the bulb to see which side was positive and negative and then used a soldering iron to melt the old solder. Been going strong almost 4 years.

Those are low voltage LED, in fairness I didn't bother putting a meter on it but I think everyone here has used a standard 12v replacement bulb and they're super bright, so I'm guessing it runs on 12v and a low voltage LED would have melted. The leads would probably be in the right spot though, the LED is connected on opposite sides like that. Also a 3w bulb in that package typically needs more than just the PCB to act as a heatsink, so even if they were the right voltage they'd still probably crap out.

Back