Replacing 2nd and 3rd row dome/map lights in an Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing 2nd and 3rd row dome/map lights in an Explorer?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Hey guys, I was able to replace my front map lights with some really nice wedge bulb LEDs a friend gave me. They are really bright at night and you can see so much better.

I want to do the same upgrade to my 2nd row and 3rd row dome lights. I am wondering how I can get this done as I was able to remove them but I was not able to see how to remove the bulb cover. It looks like there is a circuit board that is glued right inside the plastic housing and it looks like I have to remove the lens to get to the bulb. However, I tried messing with it but I'm afraid I might break it. How am I supposed to actually get to the bulb? Do I have to remove the glue and rip out the circuit board?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's quite a bit of discussion in the sticky at the top of the modified page that has some good discussion around the second row and third row. The second row I believe comes off with a screw behind the coat rack hanger pull down. Third row seemed a bit complicated because it's an LED light on that circuit board you mentioned. It's the only reason I opted to not do interior bulb swaps because this light seemed to be a bit more difficult and didn't want non-matching bulbs on the interior.

Third row does require some soldering but it's not too bad. Took me about 15 mins to remove the stock led and solder in a new 198 wedge bulb with the base removed.

I have the 2011 Explorer XLT and there is only one dome light with a button to shine one side and the other side. It looks like the same LED thing as the 3rd row.

My sport has the sun roof so the second row is different and are inadescent bulbs from the factory. Sounds like you have two leds to solder. One for the second row and one for the third.

Back