How to remove your doors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove your doors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good write up, do you have pics at all?

There are pics in the article, but here are some more. I don't have many on the trail because I just did this last summer, and my truck was dead most of last summer. Then I had to put the doors back on a few weeks after I had it running again.
2285397_91_full.jpg

2285397_92_full.jpg

2285397_18_full.jpg

2285397_19_full.jpg

2285397_20_full.jpg

2285397_21_full.jpg

2285397_97_full.jpg

Sorry I should have been more specific. Did you take any while you were removing/installing them?

No, I didn't but it's very easy. In my last pic all 4 doors are on. To take the pic I opened up the driver's door and took a picture of the front edge of the back door. You can see the bolt (where a pin would be stock). You can see the white markings I made to realign the doors after cutting the pins (you only need to realign once). rIGHT NEXT TO THOSE two white markings are the two bolts that I unscrewed to remove the door before cutting the pin.
Just let me know if you have any questions. it really is pretty easy once you do it.

is it legal to drive around town with the doors of as long as you have mirrors?

Thats the concensus I'm getting, however I would simply go to your local police station and ask them.

I have a thread on it here somewhere, and in Ohio it is legal because all you need is 1 rear facing mirror.

Can you get me pic of the connector. I must have missed that when you did this on sXc.

It is illegal to run without doors. You need 6" lip at the floor to be legal. Old CJ's can but the newer TJ's can't. They only have 4" lip.

This is were you make some easy tube doors...

Can you get me pic of the connector. I must have missed that when you did this on sXc.

I didn't unplug the stock connector, I just cut the wires and honestly haven't even gotten arround to putting in a connector. I've just been listening to the purr of my engine for the last 12 months. But according to FireZapper there is a stock connector just inside of the body.

Back