How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

What type of bolts are the hub held on by?? It looks like i am going to have to cut those bolts off and i want to have the proper replacement......

Um, i'm not sure what kind they are, but I doubt you'll have to cut them off. They're strong bolts. If you hit them with an impact, they'll come right off. I was able to get them off with a breaker bar cause I don't own an impact. Didn't have a problem, and my truck has been through 16 canadian winters..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. You were right about the bolts. Now i have another problem. I was able to break the hub from the knuckle, however, it seems that the hub is stuck on the splines (if that makes any sense). Shouldnt the hub just slide off??

Yes it should slide right off

Ok. You were right about the bolts. Now i have another problem. I was able to break the hub from the knuckle, however, it seems that the hub is stuck on the splines (if that makes any sense). Shouldnt the hub just slide off??

Yup, it should slide off the CV Axle.
If it's the original hub, there may be rust there.

They have loan a tools at most part stores for pushing the axle through the hub and out. Get one of those. Make sure you don't pound on the axle.

I also assume that you've taken the axle nut off?

You can try doing it the way I did.
Put the hub back on with the bolts, take the axle nut and thread it just barely on the cv axle and hit it with a hammer lightly. It'll loosen right up.

Make sure to put a ton of anti-seize/oil on the splines when you're done. Saves the headache for next time.

Ok. Got the loaner tool from advanced auto. About to go give it a shot. Thank you for all the advice. I will let u know how it works out.

Front Wheel Bearings

Greetings all.
My mechanic told me I need passenger side wheel bearings,but I am confused: I assume,I have to buy the whole hub assembly,but I see so many online from 40 up to 170 dollars. I know we get what we pay for,but since my explorer is my second vehicle, I only drive my Explorer about once or twice a week. When I got it, it had 90,000 miles last year,and now it has about 92,000. What do you guys think? Hit me with your best ( cheapest) shot...Lol.

Go with a cheap one, mine was an eBay unit and has lasted for years

I got mine from eBay - Detroit Axle has a store and their hubs are decent.
not super like Timken or Motorcraft, but I have almost 20K miles on them and they are OK.

Taking a chance.

Go with a cheap one, mine was an eBay unit and has lasted for years

In my search for Explorer Front Wheel Assembly, Ebay was the first to jump up.
Detroit Axle and several others were there. Just not too sure. I love Ebay,and never had any problems with their auto parts sellers. I love Rock Auto, and they too, had several . Some low-end,and some high-end. I think I will go with Ebay
A million thanks

I would love to had money for Timken.
But, IMO, with the miles that are already on my truck, there was no need for something premium.

Timken has not been a premium brand brand for many years they're mostly made offshore now

1997 Exploder, front wheel bearings.

I have a red Exploder just like NCC's Sure enough I had the whiring sound up front & it was the wheel bearings. Followed his post very helpfull. Thanks NCC.

I got a set of Mevotechs for 120$ so far great.
Advice if your hub is stuck in the knuckle

Leave the 3 hub bolts half way in and give them a good wack it will break the rust and your hub free from the knuckle instead of banging like a mad man for hours

Hey, y'all. I have not visited this site in many years but I received an email recently that Photobucket has changed their policies and no longer allows "hotlinking" of photos with a free account. Since I'm not paying for their crappy site, my photos are currently unavailable for y'all to view. It will take me a couple of days, but I am going to migrate all the original photos from this and my other write-ups to my personal server so that they become available, again. Happy wrenching, y'all!

Going to attempt this next week. Timken unit for my driver side on the way from Rockauto

Axle nuts from my local NAPA (part number 630-1642) are $10.20 each after tax. Bought two since they are special order, and I'll pry be doing the other side at some point.

Replacing the front hubs on a 4WD/AWD Expl shouldn't be very difficult. I've had the front end on our AWD Mountaineer apart several times for axle seals and ball joint replacement at which time replacing the hubs would have been simple, especially with the knuckles removed while replacing BJ's. It's probably nut necessary to completely remove the knuckles, but I prefer to do so.

The main issue as I see it is that an good impact wrench would be highly desirable for the 3 bolts that hold the hub in the knuckle and perhaps a torch to heat up Fords red thread locker. The 2 large brake caliper bracket bolts may also be stubborn. The axle nuts are supposed to be torqued to around 180-200 ft pounds, so a 1/2 torque wrench will get you close at it's max setting.

Timken brand replacement hubs would be my choice.

Well, it's done. Took a couple hours, with a lot of time looking online for torque specs, and looking for tools. I had no issues with stubborn bolts or nuts. Axle nut was easily removed with a three foot Harbor Freight breaker bar. Other bolts removed with a one foot breaker bar and socket, or wrench and dead-blow hammer.

I would recommend buying new axle nuts. I pounded mine to dislodge the axle. Definitely not reusable after taking blows from hammer. On the other side, I'll pry use some sort of puller to dislodge the axle. I was kinda getting worried that it was not moving at all.

Mine was pry on it's last leg. It's been howling for weeks and vibrations were getting worse. I noticed after removal that I had silver powder on some of my fingers :eek:.

Huge thanks to all that have contributed to this thread :thumbsup:

index.php

Well done, nice and clean. Save the old axle nuts if you can, the OEM nuts have bigger/deeper shoulders than many aftermarket axles/nuts. Some also are sized differently, so a 34mm won't fit all of them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I pounded the old axle nut quite well, so it would not go back on without some filing of some sort.

I did notice the shoulder difference between the NAPA one and the OEM one.

Back