How to "Seal" a 5x7 Speaker to the 6x8 Mounting Plates??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to "Seal" a 5x7 Speaker to the 6x8 Mounting Plates???

rpr

Reaction score
City, State
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
I just purchased JL Audio XR 5x7 components and XR 5x7 coaxials. I thought the 5x7's would give me an easier install than 6.5's.

However, the 5x7's barely cover the opening in the stock mounting plates. There is no overlap at all to create any type of seal between the speaker and the mounting plate. The only part of the speaker that actually sits on the plate is the mounting tabs. The mounting tabs do line up, so I can simply bolt them in, but the resulting spaces/gaps between the speaker and the plate are troubling.

Has anybody come across this, and did you do anything to seal the spaces/gaps between the speaker and the mounting plate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey

Hey man,
The mount "plates" should come off with 4 small bolts. Take them off and trace the outline on a sheet of wood. However thick you want. I used 3/4" for mine. Then drill holes in the wood for it to mount to the mounting "plate".. Then cut a circle large enough for your spekaers....and mount them to the wood.
Does that make sense?

(speaker)
(mounted on wood)
(bolted to mount plates)
(D O O R)

They will go in that order
Kendal

Yeah, I was hoping not to have to go through all that trouble. This is why I bought the 5x7's instead of the 6.5's. Also, with my last pair of 6.5's and 1/2" MDF adapter plates, the speakers were really close to the plastic door panel.

I think it may be easier to just get a couple of Dynomat sheets for $12 at Circuit City and use them to seal the spaces somehow.

Nope, have not heard from him in awhile. Hopefully everything worked out.:redexp:

You can use 1/4' mdf build templates or if you want you can put 5' or '6 coax speakers into the stock 5x7 place with prefab templates made out of plastic from the good people at metra.Witch you can probley get at any stereo shop. personaly the 5' 6' speakers would sound beter .

Back