How to stop rust underneath the truck? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to stop rust underneath the truck?

BML325

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Mary, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer 4x4
I bought my truck at an auction several months ago. I recently found out that the previous owner was in Pennsylvania.

Needless to say the underneath of the truck has rust on different parts of the truck.

Is there something I can spray on to stop the rust? Like rustoleium or something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you're fighting a losing battle. My Ex has spent its life in upstate NY and southeast Wisconsin until this winter in Kansas, so I'm in the same boat. Hopefully your doors haven't started rusting on the bottom inside edge yet like mine..:mad:

herculine the underbody frame or use some some sort of rust protector paint.. I painted parts of my frame with black spray paint.. I plan on herculining the underbody eventually when it gets warm enough..

If you are going to paint any of the underside of the vehicle, make sure to remove ALL of the rust before applying a paint/coating. Sealing rust in underneath the coating will just create a hidden problem.

POR15 supposedly can be applied directly over rust...

get Rustoleum Rusy metal primer (rust colored) and then get some rustoleum enamel to put ontop of that.
You'll want to take a wire brush to the rust and get off as much loose stuff as you can before you put the primer on.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99318&highlight=bumper

You can see where I painted part of the frame and bumper w/ the primer + paint. I plan on doing my whole underbody this summer. Good luck to ya if you do decide to try and protect it.

Back