how to take off inner wheel bearing???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to take off inner wheel bearing????

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
99 2wd explorer.

my wheel bearings are shot, in the process of replacing them, when i pulled the hub off, the inner wheelbearing is still on the spindle cone, how do i take it off?? the cone is tapered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wash all the grease off and heat it up. Should tap right off

heat it up? really? heat it up with wut?

propane torch is what i use. They are like 15$ at an auto store and just light them with a lighter.

thanks. but im not allowed to play with fire.

btw. how would i get the new one back on?

The new one should just slide back on, the old bearing got hot and kind of welded itself on there, but you shouldn't have a problem with putting the new one on, you can also remove the outer part of the bearing so just the race is left, and grind a little of the race away so that it is thinner, and then hit it with a chizel and it will split in two, just be careful not to grind the spindle.

it should pop right out.... if we are thinking of the same part.... there are 2 bearings.... the outer is the smaller of the 2 and is right underneath the castelated nut... this one pops right out... the otehr one is bigger and is on the part closet to the engine, this is held in with a grease seal that needs to be removed.....

It should stay in the rotor backside, I've never heard of one staying on the spindle. If it is on the spindle, it should pull straight off, readily. Make sure that it is on equally all the way around, If it is off farther on one side, then it will not want to move, until you tap it back to an equal postion.

When it is an equal distance from the spindle end, all of the way around, it should slide or pull easily off. Good luck,

yeh i just heated it up, and i banged it off. the new one just slid rite back on with a little poundin. thanks guys.

I hope that pounding was only on the inner race and preferably with a short piece of pipe slid over the spindle or you will have toasted the bearing on the spot.

I have a 2002 ford explorer and we are trying to take off the bearing and have it pressed at a shop. My husband took off the bolt on the bearing but it won't come off. Can we bring that piece into a machine shop or do you have do do something special to get it off.

Tera

im still laughing about him not being allowed to play with fire..lol
they dont let me play with torches either

Tera said:
I have a 2002 ford explorer and we are trying to take off the bearing and have it pressed at a shop. My husband took off the bolt on the bearing but it won't come off. Can we bring that piece into a machine shop or do you have do do something special to get it off.

Tera

Front or rear wheel bearing?

no need to post your questions in more than one place.

Back