How to: - How To: Transfer Case Fluid Change (Photo thread) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Transfer Case Fluid Change (Photo thread)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer with 103,000 kms. I've noticed a whirling noise in 3rd gear between 60-80km/hr. Took it to AMMCO yesterday and they've said it's the transfer case making the noise and a rebuild or replacement would be a good idea.

I'm 3000 kms outside the warranty which is a real piss off. Any recommendations on what to do? Also what kind of oil should I be using?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

standard motorcraft or other quality mercon V ATf in trans & transfer case

I was looking into some measurements and came across a dumb question. When I find a level check none of the guys talk about the orientation of the vehicle. For the tranny I have found a service manual reference to a tool (looks like a level ??) that might be used for the tranny but what about the drip level of the other things such as the rear/front differential or the transfer case. Does anybody know of a point to check for level / tilt on the car for the level check for all of the 4 units (front/Rear Diff, Transfer case and Tranny)? Is there a common point where you can level it for all fill checks?

is there a common sign of a transfer case needing replaced?

Is it possible to over-change the transfer case fluids? And what is too much?

Nope - you can change it once every 10 seconds if you'd like, although once every 5 seconds might be pushing it .

It no matter when it comes to the transfer case hooooms.. Dexron/MerconIII or Mercon-V will work in the transfer case (not the transmission).
unless it's awd--then mercon 5 is the shop manual recomedation...

Nicely done ExplorerDMB! Pictures were nice and real helpful. One note based on my experience: I had to use a small bottle (10 ounce with long neck) plus a flexible extender spout to get enough height to fill the xfer case using gravity.

gonna be doing this soon when i change the rear seal, leaking pretty good right now

Just changed the transfer case, front dif and the rear dif oil, but make sure that it gets done because you don't want to burn it.

I changed mine after 30k and the fluid that came out was brown/black. Is that normal?

No, not really. :D

If the case is in good shape, it should come out pretty much looking like it did going in.

I think it depends mostly on the type of driving the vehicle is subjected to. My guess is that the more turns you make with the vehicle (like in a city), the shorter the life of the fluid will be because turning creates a difference in driveshaft speeds which causes the clutch discs (in the transfer case) to slide against each other. Doing "burnouts" will also degrade the fluid in the transfer case faster than normal.

Can anyone HELP!!?I Love Love Love my trucks and wish I could fix them before I go crazy!
The 95 doesn't want to go into any gear not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd yet it still drives wherever I want it to take me. When it does go into a gear and I never know what gear its in, its because I forced it to by keeping the speed so high that it then jerks so hard it that I could get whiplash. I never quite know the speed because the speedometer no longer keeps true speed. When it goes out of gear the speedometer goes to '0' and stays there till it kicks back into a gear. Since I've had this 1 I've changed the transmission at lease 5 times in a 2 yr period. Can anyone help! I just want it fixed!
My 2000 just started making a jerking sound as if its putting itself into 4 wheel drive just for going over a bump, then that occasional noise under the back of the truck became an all the time noise. I took it to the Strauss and they told me that my rear differential had gone, I needed a new rear end & they didn't do that kind of work. My friend and I matched the gear ratio to one at a junk yard and he installed it, lo and behold the same noise! While taking it to the Strauss this time it wouldn't go into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear like the 1995 and when the Strauss guy test drove it we barely made it around the block. He said the purchased rear was a bad one to and that my transfer case is now bad as well. When driving it less than a mile back home I stopped to enter the highway and it wouldn't go anymore. Luckily, my daughter was behind me and pushed me with the 95 the rest of the 4 blocks home... I pray theres someone that can help.
On tuesday the junkyard will deliver the replacement rear and collect the 1st one and I'm guessing that my friend and I should be replacing the transfer case at the same time?!? Can someone help, before I break down in tears, burn them both and buy hondas!!
Thanx for any help
Camellia

Wow, he knows all that from a drive around the block? Never up on a rack, no code reader nothing? Just a test drive? I'd start by getting a new mechanic. Most people will probably still want to rebuild the transmission as opposed to repairing it. So many parts and a warranty is involved. They usually don't reallt need a complete rebuild.

Second, your rearend noise. A whining noise? Is the rear differential a limited slip? Without being there, I would try changing the rear differential oil and add the correct limited slip addative if necessary. You may indeed require some new parts on your rear axle (bearings, diff ect.) all of which you will get with the "new" junk yard rearend. Since you already have a replacement coming from the junk yard, go ahead and put that one in. Then change the fluid (oil) in the rear differential before you drive it. No matter what was causing the original sound, this should fix it.

As for the transfer case, what is it doing? Quite possibly nothing wrong. If its doing something we can address that also but we first need to know what problem it causes. If it is truely doing something, it could just as easily be something electronic that would not get fixed by changing out the transfer case and this can be expensive.

Thanx Joe, I did neglect to say that it was a test drive then up on a rack. My friend will replace the rear tomorrow and all the oils before we move the truck this time. I am so Hopeful that will help. I applaud you for answering! Be well. I will let you know. Thanx so much again.

newbie question, is the transfer case the same w/ the transmission? planning to do this one. and what weight of oil to use and how many quarts on the rear dif.? tnx guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

newbie question, is the transfer case the same w/ the transmission? planning to do this one. and what weight of oil to use and how many quarts on the rear dif.? tnx guys

A picture is worth a thousand words :) so I recommend you get one of the auto repair manuals so you can easily get the lay of the land. I use Haynes personally. Since they can vary between years, check your Ford manual for the fluid specs, or the Haynes manual for your year will have it too...

Back