Huge fuel leak

little x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
SW VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
Went to work on getting my truck up and running today. It's been 2 years since I've started it, and 3 or 4 years since it was really driven.
Got it fired up. and let it idle while I was checking things out.
All of a sudden it started POURING gas from somewhere near the pump area around the top of the tank (I'm assuming). I'd guess easily a gallon if not 2 or 3 a minute. But the truck kept running just fine before I could run around and shut it off.
I'm planning on taking an air chisel and cutting an access panel up top. Any thoughts on what went out that would allow the truck to still run? Is the tank pressurized? Did I just have a seal around the pump dry rot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think the molded plastic end of the fuel line cracked.

With the leak, I would highly recommend dropping the tank instead of making an access hole. One spark could easily cause a fire.

"I wish you the best of luck on your journey." - Someone who has also dropped their tank.

Hahaha Other than getting the rusted bolts off, it was pretty easy by myself, just need to have the tank almost empty.

My tank is not almost empty and I can't even see the bolts for all the rust. An air chisel won't spark will it?
I think it would honestly be easier for me to drill holes every 1/4 inch and cut it out by hand then drop the tank.
Wouldn't a cracked fuel line cause the truck to stumble and run rough, if not stop completely? Maybe it would have cut off if I had just given it time?

Had the evap line on top of the tank leak on me. Check yours out!

When I cut my access panel, I used a cordless drill and a small drill bit. Used the drill to make some holes close together in the pattern I wanted and then started using a chisel to cut between the holes. Once I had a cut started I grabbed my tin snips and away I went. Used some tin I had leftover from a chimney install on my hot water tank to build a patch.

If the tank to pump hangar gasket fails or is not seated, you'll get gas all over the top of the tank when it sloshes while driving. Not at a stop. The tank is not pressurized and it's made of plastic. What rusts is the fuel pump hangar assembly.

More likely, you either have a damaged fitting where the lines connect to the pump hangar assembly, or one of the fittings has rusted out (more common) on the hangar assembly. You should still be able to get these new through RockAuto but they won't be real cheap. Easier than dealing with soft rusted metal though. You'll probably need a new lock ring anyways.

If you've got the money, I'd just replace the whole tank with a new one. There's probably a nice layer of jello on the bottom of tank by now, if you didn't drain it while it was sitting.

Could just be the return fuel line leaking, which would explain why it runs ok.

Hopefully it just popped off the connection.

Finally a spark of hope!

I'm honestly just trying to get the thing running again so I can sell it. I need a work tuck with an 8ft bed, not a toy truck right now. If I have to sink much into it I'll just part it out, or sell it as is.

Anyone want a truck with a fuel leak, Duff front bars, 2 lockers, 4.56 gears, manual trans and transfer case, snorkel, 410 compcam, etc?

Have someone take a video while you cut the hole. :popcorn:

When I did mine, everything was rusted. I barely touched one of the lines that come off the sendin unit and it broke clean off. Not the hose itself, but the metal stud for lack of a better word. I was very lucky it hadn't rusted clean off before I got in there, else I would have been in the same position you are. I simply bought a new sending unit and lock ring. My old lock ring had rusted and gone. The old sending unit was welded in by rust and nothing else, but didn't leak. I also ran new fuel lines. I hate ford quick release. I put on a new line with a nut end, and I think I used a chevy fuel filter.

Back