• Register Today It's free!

humming sound front drivers side

Steamer170

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer xlt
I have a loud humming sound coming from the front drivers side of my vehicle. At first I thought it was the wheel bearing so i replaced the hub unit and the humming was still there. Does anybody have any other ideas what it may be? I was also thinking it could possibly be a warped rotor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what do you mean the cv? can you bed more specific as to what the problem with the cv is?

what do you mean the cv? can you bed more specific as to what the problem with the cv is?

CV= Constant Velocity Shaft. AKA half shaft.

Could also be a bad tire. Have an experienced mechanic take it for a ride and he should be able to tell you.

ok ill check that out. i dont think its a tire i rotate them regularly and the noise is always there regardless of what tire is there.

Have you jacked up the tire/wheel and tried spinning it by hand to see if the noise is there, or if you can locate the noise?

Just because it sounds like that wheel doesn't mean it is. You should jack up both sides and check things over. I've also seen rear axle problems sound like it was in the front.

I am going to be taking it to a buddies place tomorrow as there is no flat ground where I live, so its pretty hard to work on it here. Yes I've had it jacked up before. As I said I originally thought it was the wheel bearing, so I replaced the hub and it was still there. I am going to jack it up again tomorrow and have a better look and check the cv joints out. Any other suggestions? I dont really have the money to take it to a mechanic. I'm pretty handy when it comes to fixing things, just looking for a hand on the diagonse.

same problem here

I'm having the same problem with my 96 xlt explorer and I too changed the hub bearing same problem haven't found a cure yet. I've lift it and spinned tire they spin nicely with no problem will lift tommorrow and check.

Well I rotated the tires and this thing is getting worse I know that when I spinned the front driver side disk I heard it rubbing against the brake pads and somewhat rough as I was spinning it. Will check again and let you know, I feel like it's the drive shaft though.

my passanger side has the hum and play, i'm going to take it off in the next couple of days and replace the bearing since it is under 3 years warranty, it's a moog, the drive shaft should not have any play right once the hub is on it ....meaning if there is any play with anew hub, then it means the shaft is bad? righ...

Got rid of the hum!

what did you find out isodine?

Hey guys I lifted the vehicle and found out that the humming was coming from the driver side wheel. While spinning the tire there was no sound I removed the tire and the brake pads and spinned the hub and I felt a slight rub with low hum. I went to lose the spindle nut and noticed it was loose and I had torque it to 100lbs as specified in the manual. Even though it had the pin it got loose. I inspected the recently replaced inner and outer bearings and found that they were grinding off as fine pieces of metal were mixed with the grease. I replaced them and walla the humming is gone. Now, the problem lies in the spindle nut it will eventually get loose again as it is recommended to change them whenever you take them off. The seal at the back end of the hub was out of place also (caused by play from the loose nut), but it will not be visible unless you remove the hub. This seal is also to be replaced when the bearings have been changed. I orderred the spindle nuts as no one has them here. Well, there's my find guys hope it resolves your problems.

I have a loud humming sound coming from the front drivers side of my vehicle. At first I thought it was the wheel bearing so i replaced the hub unit and the humming was still there. Does anybody have any other ideas what it may be? I was also thinking it could possibly be a warped rotor?
It is your front differential unit gears for sure.I had the same humming noises and it is the front differential gears.

Back