hydraulic clutch cable quick disconnect | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hydraulic clutch cable quick disconnect

kroche

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
O.K.
I have swapped out the clutch, changed the transmission, reconnected all of the electrical, exhaust and drivetrain assemblies needed. Only one thing left to do before I can sit back and be impressed with all of my hard work. Reconnecting the supposedly simple quick disconnect hydraulic clutch cable. It should just click in. I know its not brain surgery, but I can't get it to stay in. I can see whats supposed to hold it in, but its not. Any suggestions?

It should just go right in. Make sure the white ring is not in the way, this is supposed to be jut to undo the fitting.

Can I ask what problem were you having that you changed all this?

I am thinking of changin that same line you are talking about. I think it's taking air in somehow...

The reason I did all of this is because we developed a leak somewhere in the tranny and we were leaking fluid. After taking it to two shops to see if they could fix the leak with no luck, I neglected to keep an eye on the leak and ultimately the tranny blew while going up a steep hill. I did however find out the reason why the quick disconnect wasn't working. I compared hoses and noticed that the lip that latches on to the quick disconnect "feet", was at different heights from one hose to the next. I took the hose end that I needed to a Ford dealership and found out that I must have gotten a 91 tranny and not a 94. The 91 has a different slave cylinder with a different hose. The hose will fit, but it is shaped a little differently. The bleeder valve is also different, not quite as easy to use. The Ford guy said that there is also a price difference in the two cylinders, the newer 94 is actually cheaper than the 91. I learned a lengthy time consuming lesson that if you are swapping out your tranny, for a Ford explorer anyway, you should always check your slave cylinder to see that it matches the existing hose coming from the master cylinder before you put the tranny back in. Because it is impossible to change the slave once the tranny is in since it is in the bell housing and swapping hoses from the master isn't the easiest thing in the world to do because of its location as well as the fact that it is held in with a pin that needs to be knocked out, not unscrewed. Anyway, Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply. You make a great point, especially regarding the different slaves. I know that Ford has made more than 6 revisions to the slave, and in doing that they could have made some changes to the connections. Maybe?? Who knows....

Back