• Register Today It's free!

Stuck during Clutch Change

chakaD

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mounty, 05 Explorer
I am in a bind. I have everything removed from my vehicle to change my clutch, but can't get the hydraulic clutch line to disconnect?

I have gone to autozone and advanced to find the disconnect tool and no one can help me.

Does anyone have a picture of the tool and where to find one? I need this car for Monday.

Thanks

edit: Just googled it and all it is this?

-> http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/hayt2505.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a small thin screwdriver to disconnect mine. You need to push the white ring in, using the screwdriver and a small hammer to hit it with. Tap all around the ring, first one side, then the other, then the top, etc.
That line is frustrating. The key is to push in the ring farther than you think it needs to go. I think it almost disappears from sight, before it will disconnect.

I've read that people who bought the real tool had just as much trouble getting it disconnected.

well you found the picture of the tool I got mine from Napa and still ended up messing up the disconnect ( which You do not want to do ) I had to get a new line from ford for it now I just had to do a clutch job on my explorer again due to I was a cheap the first time and did not change out the slave cyinder and it went out on me now this time the tool worked great for me but it has only bin on the explorer for 9 months.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up using the screwdriver and it finally popped out. Had me at my wits end.

Swapping everything out tomorrow and then to deal with all the rusted out exhaust bolts.

A tip from someone who's just dealt with the exhaust/stuck bolts on trans...the bolt-out's from Craftsman work awesome on rounded bolts. You punch it onto the head of the bolt and turn it w/ a socket and breaker bar, and it breaks it free. Worked miracles when I pulled my trans, and would've helped pulling the y-pipe last time. Good luck.

I have a nice acetylene torch that makes them nice and red. But this now gives me an excuse to go buy more tools.

Back