• Register Today It's free!

HYPERTECH/SUPERCHIP

ERIC

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Following some of the posts about Hypertech and Superchips, I am wondering...seems like when you buy a Superchip you have to give more info on your truck than when you buy a Hypertech. Does that indicate the Superchips are more sophisticated in their operation, and possibly therefore better?

And it looks like you can use either 89 or 93 octane depending on the result you want if you install a Hypertech chip?

And the Hypertech chip is somewhat less expensive. So, am i just kidding myself thinking it is a better deal?

------------------
ERIC H.
'96 XLT
"You can run, but you can't hide...my dogs track."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Hypertech chip is generic, and ONLY works at WOT. The rest of the time, it is stock baby. The Superchip is calibrated for your computer and mods. It works ALL the time.

I bought a Hypertech chip first. Caused massive and almost constant predetonation. The Superchip was next. Works great. The only bad thing I can say about the Superchip is that the method of connecting it to your computer leaves a bit to be desired. It can shake loose. However, this is nothing that can't be solved with duct tape.

JMHO

------------------
Gloria
93 EB Explorer, 1000 RTI
94 F150 Lightning

[This message has been edited by Extreme4x4 (edited 05-24-2000).]

OK Gloria,

Since you've used both chips could you clear something up for me?

Is it true the Hypertech chip simply plugs into the diagnostic port? But the Superchip actually goes into the computer, replacing a factory installed chip?

Also, if you do any additional mods on the air/fuel system or the powertrain after installing a superchip, it then has to be sent back to be reprogrammed?

Thanks for your help.

------------------
ERIC H.
'96 XLT
"You can run, but you can't hide...my dogs track."

Excuse me for jumping in ...

The SuperChip just attaches to an expansion port that already exists on your present computer.

The hardest part of adding a SuperChip is getting to your computer (depending where Ford decided to put it). Some are really easy to get to - mine is under the steering column.

Anyway, pull out the computer, clean the connector, slide on the SuperChip, and add 1 or 2 strips of ducttape to ensure the chip does not move. Reinstall the computer, and you are ready to go!

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Yes, HYPERTECH attaches thru the port. It also have two mounting clamp screws that holds it in place and three alignment screws. I don't know about being stock when not in WOT.

------------------
'92 XLT 4x4
4.0L EFI V6
w/90K miles
Dead Link Removed
[NSFR671]

The Superchip just plugs in like the Hypertech. They do not need to be sent back if you do minor mods (headers, mass air, throttle body), only if you do a major mod like a supercharger.

The Hypertech chips do not perform as poorly as they did in my truck in all Explorers. For some, the generic calibrations will be fine. It just clashed with the calibrations of my compurer (Ford will have 2-3 different calibrations per year).

Hope this helped.
Gloria
93 EB Explorer, 1000 RTI
94 F150 Lightning

My Hypertech chip works well over all RPM ranges, in all gears. It performs better with supreme gas, but works fine (with a little less performance gain) with 89 octance. It fit very nicely and snug in the computer bay, and took 5 minutes to install.

The only problem I have with it is that it only upped my top speed governor from 106 to 108, it could still go higher without risking the engine. Oh, well.

------------------
Alec Rosenbaum
University of Texas @ Austin

1996 Explorer Sport
4.0L V6 2WD Auto
K&N Filtercharger
Magnaflow Cat-back
Hypertech Module
Aux Lights/Horns
Custom Stereo

My truck has predetonation probs when it is WOT and or under load with the Hypertech chip. I put in some octance boost and it went away, but I don't think that I want to spend another $5 every time I fill up. So I am going to try to get a Superchip and see what happens.

------------------
92EB 2wd with chip and Flowmaster catback system, and open air box.

Jim
"Every body funny, now you funny too."

Back