• Register Today It's free!

Is 93 Octane Worth it?

XLT_66

Reaction score
City, State
GO TEXAS TECH
Year, Model & Trim Level
P.O.S. Mitsu Diamante
I am thinking about buying a superchip, or a hypertech....something of that sort. I was wondering from the people who already have one of these.....is paying for 93 octane worth the gains of the chip?:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always run high octane fuel, even if the manufacturer say otherwise.

I THINK the vehicle runs better.

I've jumped from 87 to 89 with the recent fall in prices. My X seems to run better now. I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage but the engine sounds a lot smoother :)

Originally posted by Sandy
I always run high octane fuel, even if the manufacturer say otherwise.

I THINK the vehicle runs better.
]

Pease explain your reasoning....

Thanks

Reasoning, does that fit in with 4x4s some how?

The higher the octane the hotter the burn, so the cleaner the combustion chamber should be.

Cdexplorer stated that his vehicle run better and he does not know if he is getting better gas mileage. Well I don't know if I am getting better gas mileage but the vehicle runs better on the hy-way, it is smoother and accelerates better. In the woods it is smoother at idle and seem not to stutter on climbs.

I know that is not much to go on but it is how I feel.

Good Luck on your choice,

We have run it in some vehicles that recommend 87 and the 93 actually caused pinging.

If you have a slightly modified engine and are running hotter plugs, then yes you will tell the difference in the jump in octane, but if you put 93 in a stock engine with no mods at all, all your doin is spending money that you dont have to.

What i was originally asking though, was if a Superchip has a noticable gain that is enough to spend the extra cash on putting 93 octane in for the rest of the time?

With mine, my Superchip does benefit by using Premium as opposed to regular. On the one tank I tried with regular, my engine didn't ping, but it didn't feel like the SuperChip was in there either. It felt weak.

You are probably all just wasteing money and aren't realizing that it's all mental. Unless your vehicle requires high octane it will lower performance by not burning as well. High octane is LESS volitale!:banghead:

My Explorer is bone stock, and the times that I've filled up with premium (i think it's 93 octane at the shell station...) it has had slightly better throttle response, and has seemed a little bit "happier" to drive on the highway, less of a chore to maintain speed without going to cruise. :smoke:

Originally posted by D
You are probably all just wasteing money and aren't realizing that it's all mental. Unless your vehicle requires high octane it will lower performance by not burning as well. High octane is LESS volitale!:banghead:

You might want to change the "all" part.

With a Superchip, premium is required. Otherwise the knock sensors will kick in and detune my engine negating the installation of the Superchip. On a stock engine, then yes, unless it pings on regular, premium is a waste.

Just filled my tank up with 93 Ultimate gas today. I'm priming it for my superchip im getting for christmas. I have exhaust and intake and bosch +4 plugs and wires. I also have a crappy knock from my engine.Hopefully the 93 takes care of this

Originally posted by Robert

With a Superchip, premium is required. Otherwise the knock sensors will kick in and detune my engine negating the installation of the Superchip. On a stock engine, then yes, unless it pings on regular, premium is a waste.

Robert is correct.

Another thing to note is that running higher octane in an engine that does not require it can lead to more carbon buildup. I ran 87 in my '95 and use it in my '01 without any problems.

Back