I bought a 1994 Aerostar with 80K miles! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I bought a 1994 Aerostar with 80K miles!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My A/C broke years ago. I use a portable A/C with an inverter.
I have a very vivid imagination, does it look like the picture I found?

IMG_0747.jpg

I have a very vivid imagination, does it look like the picture I found?

View attachment 430041
Hm, sounds like a good idea (the portable AC with the inverter) In case it's too much $$$ fixing the one in my Ex! Only get one hot month here, but it's enough!

It's a small unit which sits on the floor behind the driver's seat. The inverter is next to it. I have it hard wired to the battery with heavy duty cables. The inverter has a remote switch which is under the dashboard. The exhaust vent is connected to the rear wheel base so nothing is noticeable from the outside of the van.

It's a small unit which sits on the floor behind the driver's seat. The inverter is next to it. I have it hard wired to the battery with heavy duty cables. The inverter has a remote switch which is under the dashboard. The exhaust vent is connected to the rear wheel base so nothing is noticeable from the outside of the van.
Rather cool! What brand did you buy, or made it yourself? If most of the Aerostar vans have the front end like the one pictured, I can say they are very rare around here, can't recall ever seeing one.

What did it end up costing you?

I looked up the inverter. They made a change on the switch. I have a plain switch but now the new inverters come with a mini LCD/switch combo panel. 2500W Pure Sine Wave Inverter 12V to 120V AC with 2 AC outlets, DC5V 2 Amp USB Output, LCD Display Wire Remote kit and Heavy Duty Battery Cables. https://a.co/2KxkFU6

I think that it might have been around $1k with a high current alternator, pure sinewave inverter, heavy duty wiring harness, exhaust vent adapters, and the vent hose.
Wow! I have quote for the conversion from old ac system to new that's under $400. Did yours never have ac?

It came with A/C which kept breaking down every season. I kept replacing parts every year until the compressor seized. At that point it wasn't worth investing anymore money into it. I have the portable A/C for a few years.

It came with A/C which kept breaking down every season. I kept replacing parts every year until the compressor seized. At that point it wasn't worth investing anymore money into it. I have the portable A/C for a few years.
Cool, I'm glad you got something that works! I have to go low budget for now. I can't even afford $300 or more for the conversion right now but hopefully before next summer I'll get it done. Fortunately I don't drive this van a whole lot. I got it mostly to haul stuff that's too big for my Forester. I also plan to fix it up so I can sleep/camp in it when traveling. It makes a great 2nd vehicle!

What are they installing for the conversion?
I don't know. Actually the paperwork for the quote was from last year and came with the maintenance records from the previous owner. I'll get into it further when I'm closer to being able to actually do it.

Back