• Register Today It's free!

I know, I know, I know...

NorCalMike

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
So, I know this has been asked a 1000 times or more. But I'm looking to buy and explorer soon and there are very very few 5.0's near me for sale. Just wondering if I should hold out for a 5.0 or if I find a good deal on a 4.0 if I should grab it? Has to be 4x4 for me and will end up with an SAS. Also what about transmissions? I saw something about a certain trans behind a 5.0 is not desirable? And how are the 4.0 transmissions while pushing a set of 35"-37" tires? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a '98 4.0 SOHC just passed 198k miles. Rebuilt 5r55e trans in Feb so I did get 192k out of it. I know I'll have timing chain issues eventually. But If I was looking to buy I'd look for a late 5.0 Gen II or a Gen III 5.0 4x4 EB. That's what I'd look for if buying used.

My 98 XLT has 170,000 miles on it. 5000 miles ago the transmission went. Had a like new rebuilt put in. No one knows what tomorrow brings but the truck is in the best shape it has ever been. Won’t hesitate to jump in and drive coast to coast.

So look for a later 5.0 is my best bet? Like 97+? Do all the 5.0's have the same auto trans? And are those auto trans pretty decent?

So I just read 16 pages of a 5 speed swap. Looks like I'll be looking for a 98+ 5.0, just in case i decide to go that route. Thanks for answering my noob questions.

You'll want to re-gear the diffs if you plan on running 35-37's without a doubt. And that will help wear on the trans as well.

Yes thank you, I am aware. This isn't my first rodeo. I was just more wondering about over all strength, i tend to break hard parts in automatic transmissions. There's only 2 transmissions I've owned I haven't broken, a 4l80e, and a Toyota R151F.

So after some research it looks like the 4r70w trans should be just fine for stock 5.0 power and 37" tires. Only thing I'm still researching is a transfer case. Obviously is money was no object an atlas would be the way to go. Maybe I'll look for a used one...

. There's only 2 transmissions I've owned I haven't broken, a 4l80e, and a Toyota R151F.

Ever had a ZF?

and

Are the V8 transfer cases 2 speed?

I shattered a zf5 case on a rock once, does that count?

Coming from a guy who's owned both, hold out for the 5.0. The 4.0 SOHC was a killer engine and fun to rip around with, but the 5.0 is better in almost every respect. My buddy had the 4.0 OHV and it was a little underpowered but ok for a DD, he had the head gaskets go and had to do an engine in that one too.

Far as the 5.0, lower end power is better, the entire drivetrain is more reliable and gas mileage isn't far off from the 4.0's. In the 235k miles I had my 97 SOHC I had to replace the engine once at 165k and the trans twice by the time I flipped the pile. Most of the 5.0's I've seen tend to go over 200k without any major drive train components needed. Granted there are flukes to every rule but generally the 5.0's are really solid trucks.

In all fairness I did have to do an engine in my 96 5.0 at 143k miles. I'm pretty sure that's because of a leaky injector that washed out the cylinder and the PO never noticed the slight miss until it was too late.

In a nutshell what I'm saying is if it were me, I wouldn't buy anything but a 5.0.

I have the 4.0 OHV, 254k. About due for a rebuild though. Take care of it and will go a long time. However, running stock 3.73's with 31's leaves quite a bit to be desired. Plenty of times I wish I had a little more peddle. Gonna be checking into a 5.0 swap pretty heavily. So I would have to agree on the 5.0

5.0 and 4R70 is a fairly reliable combo. Keep the 5r55e cool and change the fluid and they are OK too but probably less reliable overall then the 4r70. The V8's only come with a viscus single speed transfer case. V8 with 4 speed, SOHC V6 with 5 speed is dealers choice. If stock, the SOHC is marginally quicker on road, tows as well (but different) and both get crap fuel economy. No engine or trans repairs on my combo yet at 175k but it will eventually happen. Id still buy the SOHC (5r55e and two speed transfer case).

Gotta be honest, I would suggest you pass on the 2nd gen Explorer and look for an F150 instead.

You'll get about the same gas mileage, but the F150 will hold resale value a heck of a lot better, especially if you put a lift kit and big tires on it.

2d Gen looks decidedly old no matter how clean. 3rd Gen still looks contemporary but not sure what they go for. May not be cheap.

Gotta be honest, I would suggest you pass on the 2nd gen Explorer and look for an F150 instead.

You'll get about the same gas mileage, but the F150 will hold resale value a heck of a lot better, especially if you put a lift kit and big tires on it.

Thanks for the suggestion but, no. I need something to haul a couple of people around in. And i have 3 pick up tricks as it is. I don't need another.

And I thought about a 3rd gen as well, but I'm just not real sure about the engine trans combo in them. But yes I do like the style better then a 2nd gen.

I am on my second 2nd gen now and I love them. I like the look of them a whole lot better then the 3rd and 4th gen but that is just me personally.
As far as the 5.0 you will only find and awd 5.0 not a 4x4 5.0, didnt know if you knew this or not so I put it out there.
The 5.0 has more power than the 4.0 sohc obviously but having driven both my self the difference is not a crazy amount in power. The drive train is more bulletproof in the 5.0 versus the 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back