I went to start my 95 Explorer, but.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I went to start my 95 Explorer, but....

DrthTater

Reaction score
City, State
Thomasville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
I broke it. :(

0619070923a.jpg

0619070923.jpg

0619070916.jpg

Any clue what I should do next ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first of all, how did it happen, and if the that was the whole lock cylinder, just go buy a new one

I went to start it, and as I turned it, I heard, and felt, a snap. It kept turning, leaving the vehicle on, but not running. as I went to turn it off, knowing that something wasn't right, I tried removing the key, in which I removed the entire thing. No idea why it happened.

Maybe I can take some pictures as I (try and) take the column apart.

I disconnected the battery last night. I had to. Otherwise I would have a dead battery :D

Stop taking them steroids, man....:D

You know I think 95 was a bad year for the key sets. I had a 95 ranger that was very loose, in fact I could remove the key while the truck was running. But I never had results like that DOH!!! At least you where at home when it happened.

That's impressive....

You should need to replace the lock cylinder... not a terribly difficult job under normal circumstances, but in your case, I don't know... Depends what may have gone sproing when the core pulled out.

Good luck!

Well. I replaced the lock cylinder. Everything looked good. But no starting. No idea why. Called the dealership (they have installed a computer on it that will shut it down if I don't pay on time. Already thought of payment, that's not the issue.)

They said they were coming out here to check it out for me (suuch nice people)

I did take pictures, so If I can figure out the problem, then I can post a step by step on what I did.

Anyone interested in a write up?

Back