• Register Today It's free!

Ignition cylinder lock

Eagle

Reaction score
City, State
Suprise, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 EB Expedition
Has anyone run into a problem with not being able to turn your key when it is inserted into the steering column? A while back I was getting ready for work and went out side, got in my truck, stuck my key into the ignition and nothing. It was locked. Couldn’t turn the key. The steering wheel wasn’t locked, the alarm was not activated, I tried my second set of keys all to no avail. FORD had to flat bed it to their dealer ship. They told me it was a bad “ignition cylinder lock”. Bad lock bad. Well wouldn’t ya know just 3 weeks later I went on vacation and the same thing happened again. Only this time it was at night 2 days before the new year and –20 below zero. Luckily for me they replaced the ignition cylinder lock again and fixed the problem. The tow truck man told me that he has seen this before and that it is pretty common in FORDS? This was news to me. So I am asking everyone if anybody has had the same problem as me.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
If your not flyin
Your not tryin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Am I the only poor sole this has happened to?

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
If your not flyin
Your not tryin

I have seen this prob....hey it happened to me! I had to replace my lock cylinder. I haven't seen it happen as bad as yours did but I can imagine the frustration. I had problems with the key turning. Then replaced the cylinder and got the same problem you had. I had to go through two lock cylinders before I got one to work. I guess it's just a Ford thing. I hope this helps, I know it's not much but at least you know it's not just happening to you.

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

This problem has also happened to me. When I put the key in it would not turn and my steering wheel was locked with it. I finally got it home and poped off the steeringwheel and steering column covers. I took it out myself and went to Ford. They tried to charge me $100 + dollars for a new one. I simply took it to my local key shop and they rebuilt the lock cylinder for about $15. The guy at the key shop told me that it was a common problem with Ford's. I haven't had a problem since.

------------------
Brian
91 XLT 4x4

Ignition Lock Cylinder

Typically the bad luck of the blue oval for '98 has struck again...
My ignition lock cylinder on my Sport hasn't been able to go to the accessories mode for some time, so asked Ford if they would replace it since the "Ignition switch " is covered by my extended warranty. WRONG!!
The ignition switch is separate from the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder is NOT covered by warranty. Think some lawyer got involved in this.
Apparently the lock cylinder has push rods that activate the ignition switch, blah, blah, blah...
Anyway they wanted about $100 to replace it, and decided to just live with it. Gonna spray some silicone spray down the cylinder and see if that is a temporary cure for a permanent problem.
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents...
Later

Have ignition lock problems on my 02 XLS too!! I have difficulty just getting the key in. Need to get off my butt and take it in.

I have seen the problem. Nine time out of ten I can tell you the cause.
Too much weight on your key chain.
House keys , ornamants stuff like that weigh down the key and pushes the " waffers " out of alignment.

Originally posted by MONMIX
I have seen the problem. Nine time out of ten I can tell you the cause.
Too much weight on your key chain.
House keys , ornamants stuff like that weigh down the key and pushes the " waffers " out of alignment.

I have about 20+ keys on my ring, and they have caused no problem except for holes in my pocket.....:)

It doesn't happen all the time on each and every vehicle.
As a tip , play is safe try to put your key chain on a diet.

Back