Ignition Problem

DMCL2023

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hi guys,

My ignition has broke. Went to start it and heard something break and the barrel turns freely with no resistance.

The barrel is fine when I take it out. It's the inner part that seams to be rotating freely. When my mechanic found the starter relay type thing behind the panelling he was able to start it manually.

What part is broken?

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should have mentioned. It's a 4.0 sohc 1997.

Sounds like you've got something broken inside of the column, if it was mine I'd replace the column, and reuse my key cylinder. *Edit* The inner part you're referring to, is that the nub on the cylinder?

The lock cylinder's nub engages with a piece that pulls/pushes a rod, which runs down the column to the ignition switch. Your mechanic activated the ignition switch manually to get the truck to start.

As the link @toypaseo provided showed, sometimes the little nub on the lock cylinder breaks off and then there's nothing to pull/push on the rod that activates the ignition switch. If your ignition lock is not the issue then there's something broken inside the column regarding the rod. I've never taken an Explorer column apart, but on GM columns I've seen a gear and a cast piece, or a metal rod, which is connected to the ignition switch. Turning the key to various positions moves a slide inside the ignition switch, making various electrical contacts.

Swapping your column out for a used working one may be the simplest solution, but the broken parts can be replaced with effort. There are places that specialize with steering column repair.

Back