I'm guessing that this isn't a good sign... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm guessing that this isn't a good sign...

v8_dave

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer, '05 Exped
2002 Explorer, 4.6 Eddie, It has been seeming as if it's skipping what I believe 2nd to 3rd...or essentially anytime you need to give it gas it has been flaky at best...(sometimes hesitant and then sometimes normal so you dumped on it for no reason).

Today on a flat level surface I was able to move through the gears without depressing the brake, and when shifting through overdrive/normal operation- circle D to be perfectly clear, to the further drive gears on the right with no braking (flat surface) it through itself violently in park only to start forward after several seconds..
It literally did that to the point I will likely feel it later.

I did this all in regular mode, no 4x4 and never have really used it on this truck as I tend to baby this 1.

I really hope some advice can be shed and at 70k babied, i hope this is not what I think it is.

Please prove me wrong!!!!!!!

Thanks

Do the cheap stuff first.

Change transmission fluid and filter. If that doesn't help get a free diagnostic of ur tranny.

Might be the solenoid pack -- $600-$1200 depending on where u take it.
Posted via Mobile Device

2002 Explorer, 4.6 Eddie, It has been seeming as if it's skipping what I believe 2nd to 3rd...or essentially anytime you need to give it gas it has been flaky at best...(sometimes hesitant and then sometimes normal so you dumped on it for no reason).

Today on a flat level surface I was able to move through the gears without depressing the brake, and when shifting through overdrive/normal operation- circle D to be perfectly clear, to the further drive gears on the right with no braking (flat surface) it through itself violently in park only to start forward after several seconds..
It literally did that to the point I will likely feel it later.

I did this all in regular mode, no 4x4 and never have really used it on this truck as I tend to baby this 1.

I really hope some advice can be shed and at 70k babied, i hope this is not what I think it is.

Please prove me wrong!!!!!!!

Thanks

Those issues do not sound like transmission rebuild issues to me. I believe that is an electronic control transmission, and i suspect the problem is in the electronic control. does the check engine light come on?

the brake pedal shift lock has nothing in common with the wear parts in the transmission (clutches, bands, even oil pump or anything else in the trans for that matter) so the fact that this is part of the issue suggests an electronic control issue.. the fact that the park-pin somehow engaged momentarily while you're shifter was in the (forward gears) position, also indicates an electronic control malfunction.

check all you're wiring connections.. did you pressure wash anything (under the hood, or under the car) recently? try unplugging/replugging the electronic connections to the trans, those big plastic multi-wire connectors.. also try unplugging/replugging the wiring harness into the EEC. it's likely just a bad connection.

Back