I'm new here and need some help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm new here and need some help...

DimeslotZ

Reaction score
City, State
Knightstown, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explore 4.0 4x4
I have a 1996 4wd explorer with a 4.0. Everything is stock including the tire/wheel size. The truck only has 108k miles on it. Over the last few months my fuel mileage has gotten worse and worse. I'm barely getting 10 mpg now. The plugs and wires are about 8 months old and I've changed the oil regularly. It runs great but the gas is hurting my pockets badly. What would be the cause of my decrease in fuel efficiency? Last summer I was getting twice as far on a tank of gas as I do now. I'm desperate for suggestions on this matter. PLEASE HELP!!

Same here with my 04 Explorer. When I had the Fuel filter, and oil changed I was getting unbelievable gas mileage (AVG 25-27) for about 2 weeks. After that fuel economy dropped back to 13MPG. Other than that I use cruise control at 35-40MPH 80% of driving time, and I still get bad gas mileage. I'll be lucky to get 16MPG.

Well buddy, if you figure it out before I do, PLEASE let me know. I use cruise control constantly and rarely get above 45-50 mph.

on my explorer i have changed front shocks and air filter and i can go about a week or a little over on a fuel tank of gas

Back