Inst Fuel Economy Reading Problem

mrchua

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Limited 2013
Hey Guys,

After 2k kms on my mileage, ive noticed that the Instantaneous Fuel Economy reading is well off than the usual numbers ive had in the previous months.

Cases:
1. It is showing abnormal movement on the L/Km "Inst Fuel Economy" bar gauge.

Abnormal meaning, even if im just gliding through the road by NOT stepping on the gas pedal, the bar is always at its maximum level 30L reading.

2. My usual fuel consumption reading when I first got it until I discovered this problem were:
City = 18L/100Km
Highway = 14L/100Km

With this abnormal problem with the same driving method:
City = 45L/100Km
I believe this is way too high.

I brought it to the dealership for checkup and they told me to come back january due to xmas holiday coming up.

Any of you experienced this problem?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys,

After 2k kms on my mileage, ive noticed that the Instantaneous Fuel Economy reading is well off than the usual numbers ive had in the previous months.

Cases:
1. It is showing abnormal movement on the L/Km "Inst Fuel Economy" bar gauge.

Abnormal meaning, even if im just gliding through the road by NOT stepping on the gas pedal, the bar is always at its maximum level 30L reading.

2. My usual fuel consumption reading when I first got it until I discovered this problem were:
City = 18L/100Km
Highway = 14L/100Km

With this abnormal problem with the same driving method:
City = 45L/100Km
I believe this is way too high.

I brought it to the dealership for checkup and they told me to come back january due to xmas holiday coming up.

Any of you experienced this problem?

Thanks

if the car is moving, and you are NOT stepping on the gas pedal, the instant economy will go to max... because well, you aren't using any gas, but you are moving. If you step on the gas pedal it should go down... this is how the instant display works. The average fuel economy is averaged from the time you last reset (hold down the left OK while on the instant economy screen).

The instant bar should drop as you accelerate and move back up to max as you take your foot off the gas, the only time it should drop to zero is if you are not moving (then you are using gas, but not moving, so you are getting 0mpg)

Good explaination by 13Sport.

This is why I prefer the bar graphs. I use the "10 Minute" history for most of my daily driving. I swith to the "30 Minute" history when on road trips.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand what youre saying and its the total opposite of how I previously analysed it.

I have a few more questions:

1. Why does the Instant Fuel Economy bar acting the total opposite when I use driving it before?

2. Why did my avg fuel consumption number changed from 18L/100km into 45L/100km with the same driving condition?

3. Even if the car is on Park gear (not moving), the Instant Fuel Econ bar is at its maximum?

Thanks

#3 alone indicates you have a problem. Maybe a dealer recalibration will fix it. Let us know how it is behaving after the dealer fixes it.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand what youre saying and its the total opposite of how I previously analysed it.

I have a few more questions:

1. Why does the Instant Fuel Economy bar acting the total opposite when I use driving it before?

2. Why did my avg fuel consumption number changed from 18L/100km into 45L/100km with the same driving condition?

3. Even if the car is on Park gear (not moving), the Instant Fuel Econ bar is at its maximum?

Thanks

Hi mrchua,

As VinceL suggest below, it appears that a dealer visit is in order. Additionally, I want to escalated your case to your region's customer service manager. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

#3 alone indicates you have a problem. Maybe a dealer recalibration will fix it. Let us know how it is behaving after the dealer fixes it.

Great idea, VinceL! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

PM sent

Thanks

Back