Installed Shocks - Have Questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed Shocks - Have Questions...

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
I installed my Edelbrock IAS Twin-Tube (not Performer) front shocks on Saturday. I picked 'em up on eBay for $50. I figure they gotta be better than my 154k old OEM shocks....but i have a concern:

When i removed the OEM units, they expanded to full length as expected. However, the Edelbrocks came fully compressed, with no nylon tie to hold them compressed, and needed to be pulled apart (by hand) to be installed. I've read directions on installing shocks (in general) where they say to "cut the nylon tie and allow the shock to expand into place." But these required none of that. Is this right? I expected to have to fasten the lower bolts, cut a tie or strap, and then control the unit as it expanded into place. Could this be due to their "Active Inertia System" or whatever the hell it is?

Ultimately, they didn't make much of a difference in ride quality during city driving. The streets here are horrible and you still feel every bump as if you were riding on 22s with no rubber. Plus, i hear/feel an empty/hollow thud or clunk when going over bumps - which may or may not have been there before (possibly the torsion bar adjusters) - but you're much more observant when trying to get a feel for something new. I feel less of the small bumps than i did before, and highway driving is a bit better, but handling the harsh streets here they are not doing so well on.

My Ranchos are the same way..they should be like that

I used to have the IAS Performers and they did the same thing. I had to manually expand them to install them and compress them to remove them. Don't know about your ride quality issue though. Mine was much better after installing them (my OEM 150K+ shocks were completely trashed).

Well, i gotta say that when broken in they're MUCH better. I've still got a nasty torsion-bar related clunk but all in all it's much smoother. It's been 10 days and it definitely wasn't $50 wasted.

Back