-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

Not great with people's actual names here, so I'm not sure but every thread I read her in the modified explorers section tagged with overhead console, was just the oem console, people adding switches to it, the dimmer mod like I just did, and such.
yeah, his was custom and just switches Paul's '91 Sport but i suppose you could play off that idea and make your own tray in a similiar way, but may be less work to do it the other way... idk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, heres this at least, got these in from GoFastExplorers, now for some podlights. Deciding if I want an effective and fun set, or just effective. Effective and fun being an rgb set, looked at one where you could just have a colored ring around the outer edge or the full light on. Need to paint these suckers at some point as well. Rgb would just be for the looks, they'd still help in white or yellow offroad, but mostly just look nice on the road. Or I can do a set like the lightbar, just a nice set of bright and plain white or yellow pods.

Still need to make my junkyard run too, may do that on saturday before work, got some friends that would like to go as well so I'll figure something out.

Also feels a little empty since I finally took the old dirty and slightly burnt spare off. Officially say I'm not a fan of the oem tool under the seat for removing the spare, its straight with an extension, so I nabbed a socket wrench and had it off in no time with no issues.

20220331_115843.jpg 20220331_115738.jpg 20220331_115727.jpg 20220331_111516.jpg 20220331_111335.jpg 20220331_111326.jpg 20220331_110704.jpg

where did you get the light mount from? guessing because its from gofastexplorers its from TravisFab?

where did you get the light mount from? guessing because its from gofastexplorers its from TravisFab?
From BrianBuilt Fabrication actually

And a decently lucky junkyard trip! Found a nice set of explorer leafs, code F, and nabbed those for my f150 hybrid leaf project. But also found this beauty, guess I'm getting a Limited grille. Found an overhead console from a suburban to mess with as well.
Also, I nabbed the glass hatch weather stripping, but I didn't know that its attached to the defrost bit. So I don't know what I'm going to do with that, but I just tore it off the strip for now. How I throw it on mine now, I ain't got a clue

20220402_092842(0).jpg 20220402_105654.jpg 20220402_105652.jpg 20220402_123423.jpg

Man, genuinely didn't realize how massive this thing is! The thing goes pretty much all the way to the mid overhead lights in a sport. Think I'll end up drilling some spots and mounting it the same way as the oem one, may add another at of screws or maybe some 3M at the end to be sure it stays against the roof all the way down.

20220402_223150.jpg 20220402_223133.jpg

Well, as figured, doesn't fit between the main visors, the smaller ones are fine, just barely. Which works, since I don't use the main ones at all anyway, see about deleting those and maybe keeping the small ones. Or cutting these to be a bit shorter, or fab new ones. Probably just take them off, if needed, I still have the smaller ones.

20220403_142440.jpg 20220403_142428.jpg

That Actually looks cool. Can't wait to see it attached and completed. I could not use one of those in mine. I have the sunroof in my Explorer.

That Actually looks cool. Can't wait to see it attached and completed. I could not use one of those in mine. I have the sunroof in my Explorer.
Yeah, kind of miss the old family expedition with a sunroof, but at the same time time, glad I don't have to deal with it on mine if/when it breaks. Still, can be fun to have! I'm not sure about the space for it, but the tahoe had a larger one, not as big as the burban, but it was larger than the explorer one. Mostly wide though, so I didn't even try to consider it, but if you're like me and don't really use the visors, you may be able to delete them and fit that with the sunroof! I do want to say its longer, not too much longer though, as said, its mostly just wide. Something to look into though, if you're interested! I can make a trip back out there if needed, tempted to go today anyway

Well, got out for some mud today, since we finally got some decent rain. Performed absolute fantastic! Other than when I got out and listened, pretty dang sure I can hear the timing chain rattle from the driver side fender. Tried from an open hood, couldn't hardly hear it without my head being low in the engine bay. Happened to be walking around her and noticed, knelt down and could hear it right by the tire. I'll grab a recording later, see if I can at least, but it sounds like that may be finally be acting up, hoping its not, too much going on right now. Picked up a Badland ZXR 12,000 lb winch for 60% off, when I get in touch with rlc about a bumper, I ain't getting stuck once those are on!

20220407_192855.jpg 20220407_192828.jpg 20220407_184121.jpg

yeahhhh mud!!!!! hope its not the timing rattle... for mine its the cats rattling... someday they shall get replaced ;) and you picked up the winch too? i got mine at a super good deal 2 weeks ago! looking at a rockranger bumper right now!

yeahhhh mud!!!!! hope its not the timing rattle... for mine its the cats rattling... someday they shall get replaced ;) and you picked up the winch too? i got mine at a super good deal 2 weeks ago! looking at a rockranger bumper right now!
RLC, when I last spoke to them, said they cut back on the custom bumpers due to being swamped. Reached out again today and told them I'll do both front and back at the same time, but I don't mind waiting a bit longer on the front one if thats what it takes to be fully custom, left me on read so far. Want one that looks like Tom Urbanek's explorer, that form fitting bumper really works nicely. I'll see about messing with it, but I'd 100% rather it be the cats if that remotely sounds closer, was debating on deleting them anyway, use the cash to redo the whole exhaust all together. Or just remove mine and order a cat back and customize from there for dual exhaust.

FB_IMG_1649372595366.jpg FB_IMG_1649378480160.jpg

that bumper looks super cool! imo, i wouldnt delete cats, wont pass smog/worse for environment (is it even legal?? nto sure), if anything i would just replace em, rockauto has them for a fair price... not sure, illl try to get a vid of what mine used to be like... gimme about an hour ;) its somewhere in the files

that bumper looks super cool! imo, i wouldnt delete cats, wont pass smog/worse for environment (is it even legal?? nto sure), if anything i would just replace em, rockauto has them for a fair price... not sure, illl try to get a vid of what mine used to be like... gimme about an hour ;) its somewhere in the files
Thanks, everywhere there are laws about having the cats, but they don't care much here in Florida, I mean, I drive around with green lights all over my truck for example!

So that's the trick, sell the cats, buy some new ones, sell those of more than I paid, and repeat, making thousands!!
Yeah, not doing that, honestly in the end I'll either keep them, get a new catback like I said, or just hollow mine out, so they're still there, just not doing anything.

at times i have considered doing that instead of eventually having to buy new ones... but alas, here in the land of CARB, not sure how long you can pull that off ;) Fix4Dirt does not encourage remiving cats, Fix4Dirt suggest either buy new ones, or potentially used ones if your JY allows it

i imagine in florida, you can do alot of things that would get you in trouble here in Cali...

at times i have considered doing that instead of eventually having to buy new ones... but alas, here in the land of CARB, not sure how long you can pull that off ;) Fix4Dirt does not encourage remiving cats, Fix4Dirt suggest either buy new ones, or potentially used ones if your JY allows it

i imagine in florida, you can do alot of things that would get you in trouble here in Cali...
Yeah, Cali is strict as crap, its opposite here for the most part.

I'd definitely rather the cats be there just in case, that's why I said maybe hollow them, depends on how things sound with and without them.

Also, heres a video from the fender and the hood, picked up better under the hood, still not great, doesn't as clanky there. Bit metallic in sound, that's why I went straight to the timing chains, I have been told you'll know it when you hear it, I better be wrong here, although, it is over 226k miles now without that ever being dealt with that I'm aware of, so it wouldn't be too much surprise if it is. I will try revving it tomorrow as well, just to test if it speeds up wirh the rpms at all.

this is what mine sounded like, metallic jingling... let me know if it doesnt work, i had issues with that (it was orignally m4a)

Attachments

• New Recording 33.mp3
    146.8 KB

this is what mine sounded like, metallic jingling... let me know if it doesnt work, i had issues with that (it was orignally m4a)
That worked, not great quality either, doesn't sound quite the same? Hard to tell without being in person either way. But as said, don't think it's the cats, doesn't really sound like it's from there? But it does seem closer to the back of the engine, so it could be either I suppose. Any specific ways of telling it's the cats or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i mean the cats would only rattle as it gets warmer... and the video was of my timing chain rattle, forgot to mention... couldnt find the cat video, ill keep lookin! nd sorry about the recording quality, it wouldnt let me export from my computer, so i recorded from computer to phone, then converted from m4a to mp3... so quality is :thmbsdwn:

Back