installing Explorer Steering Column Shifter Boot ? Tips? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installing Explorer Steering Column Shifter Boot ? Tips?

Pirate

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
I'm about to install a rubber Steering Column Shifter Boot on my 2003 Ford Explorer. OEM 1L2Z3513AA

Old one is shredded and a new one is on the way.. The old one seems to snap right out, but I'm thinking the new one will not be as easy as I have to thread the steering column through it and I'm not sure how the steering column comes out...

I checked YouTube and didn't see a How-To... Can somebody here point me to a link or simply explain the procedure in terms a 'luded out chimp would understand?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well.. it just might.. If I have to take all the plastic off like in this procedure... yes.. this might be helpful..Thanks.. I just hope It doesn't come to that...

See if this helps.

I just did this last week so maybe I can help. You need to remove the plastic shroud from the steering wheel, then undo the connector for the over drive switch and finally remove the shift lever.
Step 1- Remove shroud- Remove two phillips screws from bottom of the steering wheel shroud and remove the lower half. This will give you access to a third screw holding down the upper half of the shroud. The third screw is also accessed from the bottom. The two halves also snap together along the edges so be careful not to break those tabs. Tilting your steering wheel may give you extra clearance.
Step 2- Undo O/D switch- The shift lever has a wire coming out of it for the over drive switch. It goes to a rectangular plastic connector on the top side of the steering wheel. Don't pull up on that connector. It slides towards you lengthwise out of its clip. Once you slide it out, you have better access to undo the O/D switch connector.
Step 3- Remove shift lever- The shift lever is held in place with a pin that can be easily removed. With the lever in PARK position I used a flat screwdriver as a punch and pliers as a hammer to tap out the pin. I gave it a few small, light taps, it doesn't take much to move it. After the pin is almost flush you will need to put your key in the ignition and move the lever to NEUTRAL or DRIVE to have clearance to remove the pin. ***Make sure your truck doesn't move!!! Use your parking brake or blocks on your tires.*** Take your pliers and remove the pin from the top. The shift lever is spring loaded so apply some counter pressure on the lever so you don't bind the pin in there.

Now you can install your brand new shift lever boot. Re-assembly is reverse of installation.

Excellent!! I'm old, but I think I can do this... About how long did it take you? and on a scale from 1-10... how hard was it?

I just did this last week so maybe I can help. You need to remove the plastic shroud from the steering wheel, then undo the connector for the over drive switch and finally remove the shift lever.
Step 1- Remove shroud- Remove two phillips screws from bottom of the steering wheel shroud and remove the lower half. This will give you access to a third screw holding down the upper half of the shroud. The third screw is also accessed from the bottom. The two halves also snap together along the edges so be careful not to break those tabs. Tilting your steering wheel may give you extra clearance.
Step 2- Undo O/D switch- The shift lever has a wire coming out of it for the over drive switch. It goes to a rectangular plastic connector on the top side of the steering wheel. Don't pull up on that connector. It slides towards you lengthwise out of its clip. Once you slide it out, you have better access to undo the O/D switch connector.
Step 3- Remove shift lever- The shift lever is held in place with a pin that can be easily removed. With the lever in PARK position I used a flat screwdriver as a punch and pliers as a hammer to tap out the pin. I gave it a few small, light taps, it doesn't take much to move it. After the pin is almost flush you will need to put your key in the ignition and move the lever to NEUTRAL or DRIVE to have clearance to remove the pin. ***Make sure your truck doesn't move!!! Use your parking brake or blocks on your tires.*** Take your pliers and remove the pin from the top. The shift lever is spring loaded so apply some counter pressure on the lever so you don't bind the pin in there.

Now you can install your brand new shift lever boot. Re-assembly is reverse of installation.

This took me about 25-30 minutes from the time I started until I put away my tools. I also did this in the driveway at night so one arm was holding/ steadying the flashlight. I didn't intend to do it at night but I just went out to the truck to see how hard it was going to be. It started with me removing the old boot. Then I took off the shroud and before I knew it I had replaced it. I would rate this a 3 for difficulty. For a sense of scale, I would consider adding fluids like oil, brake fluid, etc a 1. Replacing a bulb, a 2.

Excellent.. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out... You da man!

This took me about 25-30 minutes from the time I started until I put away my tools. I also did this in the driveway at night so one arm was holding/ steadying the flashlight. I didn't intend to do it at night but I just went out to the truck to see how hard it was going to be. It started with me removing the old boot. Then I took off the shroud and before I knew it I had replaced it. I would rate this a 3 for difficulty. For a sense of scale, I would consider adding fluids like oil, brake fluid, etc a 1. Replacing a bulb, a 2.

Mission accomplished... The install was EXACTLY as you said.. with your wordage and the video posted by plasticseng I sailed through it without drama.. Thanks to you both for the help...

Back