Installing subwwoofers and amplifer in 03 explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing subwwoofers and amplifer in 03 explorer.

Ford Fever

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
This is for a friends truck, not mine.

Was looking for some help in installing an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers in an 03 explorer. It's got the good sound system with the 6cd indash changer and subwoofer and amp in the rear.

Here are my questions. We got the wiring diagram and I was thinking of tapping into the signal lines going to the rear sub-amp. His amp has high-level inputs so a line converter is not necessary. Is this OK? This amp is for subwoofer amp only, so I'm not worried about the signal only being bass or whatever.

Second, where would you recomend I connect the remote turn on lead to? We can't figure out how the heck to get the headunit out, and I'd rather plug into something near the back of the vehicle anyway. Doesn't matter if it's just an ignition controlled power, just so long as the amp plays when he's got the key on and shuts off with the vehicle.

Thanks!

couldnt u just use the diagram for the stock wiring harness then rip them off the plastic do-dad and plug them into the amp? the stock amp has to have everything the new amp needs right? u will proly need a better power and ground wire though...otherwise u will get to little power or lovely amp whine =) weeeeeee

That was my plan...

The turn on wire to the factory amp is only 7 volts and not enough to turn on the aftermarket amp.

Was hopeing to tap into signal wires going to the factory amp, but was unsure if it's the proper signal type.

And yes, we did run seperate ground and power wires.

Try one of these LVT low voltage triggers. They are a glorified relay that will connect to the factory 5-7 volt turn on signal and then output a 12 volt to the new amp. Or connect it to a speaker lead and when it senses the music it sends the 12 volt. About $14 online or 2X that in an custom audio shop. You could also get a $5 relay from an electronic store to do the same.

Back