insulator shock absorber........ | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

insulator shock absorber........

Hi Andy.
If your LSD hasn't got any leaks I wouldn't think that is making the squeal.
The oil is very expensive and you have to add a friction modifier as well. I think when I priced it up it was going to cost about £80.
Have you tried jacking up the rear and pulling the wheel in and out to see if there is any movement. It could be this because the brake caliper moves with the movement of the half shaft which causes the brake pads to rub.
My right hand side does it. It needs shimming inside the diff itself. And guess what? You can't get the shims!
Our axle set up is very similar to a Ford Transit and you can get the shims for them. Apparantly Transits quite often have to have the shims reset to stop the in-out movement.
By the way, mine was making a horrendous squeal the other day. It was a bit of grit from a freshly tarmaced road stuck in the brake caliper!
Kev.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Kev,

many thanks for the quick reply

i have recently had new rear pads fitted so i will have a look around.

the noise is not so much a metal squel but the tyre type squel, i will double check but i dont think i have a leak at the back diff. My EX does suffer from the suspension light coming on after 15 minutes of driving when i have something in the back. My next thing is to change the rear shocks, i will probably opt for loosing the self leveling as i rarley carry any weight in the back.

Andy

It could be the LSD that is causing the problem. Changing the oil is not hard. You can either take out the filler plug and use a pump to take out the old oil or take the rear cover off. If you opt to take the rear cover off you will get more of the old oil out but you will need an rtv sealant to put the cover back on. Then fill with the new using either 75W-140 plus additive or fully synthetic oil which does not need the additive.

Hi Howard,

Many thanks for the info, i take it that i can get the oils and sealant at any motor factors?

do you know how much oil will be needed?

is there anything else i need to do once it is filled, i think i have read somewhere that i need to do tight figure of 8's when it is re filled?

many thanks for the help

Andy

Rear axle capacity is 5.5 - 5.8 pints or 3.1 -3.3 Litres. The additive comes in 4oz bottles and you put it all in. As for figures 8's, I did not do that when I changed my oil but it can't do any harm and may work the oil into the LSD clutch pack.

Many thanks for the help.

Andy

Back