Interested in a sport, so how do they drive? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interested in a sport, so how do they drive?

Sorry bout that; didn't mean to hassle a Mod. They really should indicate Mod status to the left. :rant::rant::rant:

Members who are Moderators have their username shown in black.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a moderator on this forum it is part of my job to try and keep threads on track. The OP has acknowledged that a test drive is in the plans but not right away.

Peter

Get real Pete. This thread has been overall constructive and kept on track. Realistically hes a potential new owner looking for current owners opinions. In addition to asking how they drive he did also ask if we have any regrets, which to me is asking an owners opinion on the vehicle. I owned a very similar vehicle to his and made an identical change in vehicle that he is considering. How is this an issue?

Clearly you are taking it personally that everyone is not recommending the Ford. As I stated earlier, with his budget, there is no denying he has better options available. I am not Ford bashing either, I enjoy my Sport and will likely switch to a F150 this coming summer.

Your nit picking in a post that does not need it. Just like in many other areas of this forum. While I understand what you are trying to do, it is excessive and annoying to the members.

To OP,
The Sport handles well for a 3 row SUV. I have driven a XLT as well as the PI Utilities at work. The Sport does have better driving dynamics over a regular Explorer but nothing dramatic. If you get one plan on getting winter tires.

In park it wont move to well. Drive will take you forward and reverse backwards. Just watch out in neutral, it can be unpredictable :chug:

Also OP on a more serious note, if you're on FB join the Ecoboosted page. Thats where I go for most of my info the past few months, great people on the page. You can post pictures without 3rd party sites, sell items without having to pay membership and mods that act appropriate by not forcing opinion and/or censoring content. Dont get me wrong, there's great members, how to's etc on this site as well. Just out of the countless forums I am on, I've never been on one so restrictive.

Taking order to Purchase a 2016 Sport very soon! Thanks for the advice guys!

So I test drove a Explorer Sport tonight. I will say I am impressed. I didn't think it felt as big as it is when driving. it's no sports car, but it gets up and moves and is nimble for it's size. There does seem to be some significant turbo lag when flooring it though. Overall I like it and it's a contender for my next car. The biggest thing I'm going need to figure out is if I will get bored driving a SUV a year in. Thanks for the input everyone.

So I test drove a Explorer Sport tonight. I will say I am impressed. I didn't think it felt as big as it is when driving. it's no sports car, but it gets up and moves and is nimble for it's size. There does seem to be some significant turbo lag when flooring it though. Overall I like it and it's a contender for my next car. The biggest thing I'm going need to figure out is if I will get bored driving a SUV a year in. Thanks for the input everyone.

You're literally the first person I hear mentioning turbo lag on the Sport!
While I haven't taken delivery of my Sport yet, I've test drove several Sports (both 2015 and 2016) and also got one for the weekend and turbo lag is not in the least apparent.

You're literally the first person I hear mentioning turbo lag on the Sport!
While I haven't taken delivery of my Sport yet, I've test drove several Sports (both 2015 and 2016) and also got one for the weekend and turbo lag is not in the least apparent.
There were a few posts going back 2 years that mentioned 'minimal' turbo lag. One of the biggest issue when the turbos first came out in the Ex was the hoses being blown off. I guess that the person at the factory has now learned to tighten the clamps sufficiently since it no longer appears to be a problem.;)

Peter

Tune will make a night and day difference. Post tune the vehicle will make boost quicker and at lower RPMs improving daily driving unbelievably.

The Sport drives like a dream. Responsive & nimble in traffic. Couldn't stand my weak Limited so I bought the Sport and that has made diving fun. Love the refinements of the 16.

Agree that Peterk9 is overzealous with his moderation/commenting. Dial it down.

I've got a couple of Turbo vehicles. An Outback XT, and the Explorer Sport. The turbo lag is non-existent in the Ex as compared to the XT, which is already ok. My XT is a manual, so I have more of a sense for how the engine is performing separate from how the transmission is performing, in that vehicle. In the XT if I'm in 4th on the highway and I put my foot down the vehicle will build for a moment, and then fling me forward as the turbo spins up. With the Ex (and any auto-tranny car) when you put your foot down there's the moment when the transmission finds a lower gear. By the time that happens the turbo has already spun up.

In my opinion, the Sport is a vehicle that feels like it loves to drive... and a vehicle made for people who can appreciate driving (not just getting the kids from one event to another, which the Ex Sport does in style).

So I've seen several references to tuning the engine, how much of an increasing performance will you see, what does it do to the factory warranty (I'll be leasing) and what is the cost?

So I've seen several references to tuning the engine, how much of an increasing performance will you see, what does it do to the factory warranty (I'll be leasing) and what is the cost?
Check out some of the threads in the 'Modified' sub forum.

Peter

I'd say that the lag is more throttle related than turbo lag. As you drive it the computer will learn how you drive and map the throttle to match your style, to point. Past that point you'll probably need a third party tune.

Mine has an issue with just "punching it" as the seems to a second to decide what gear to use, but roll into the throttle hard and the turbos are right there.

Ford has voided many a warranty on engines that were tuned in the Mustangs. I have no idea what happens if they catch the tune on a lease vehicle.

They drive nice, got rid of my '13 not long ago (took over lease to help a friend). The "Sport" part, ehhh, I mean I think its more the engine which is much more effortless, the handling/drive/steering feel etc is nice but not that much sporty over a regular Explorer, just up a notch or two. When I think of Sporty I think of my friends '14 Jeep SRT-8 which is not only ridiculously nice and comfortable, but corners and handles far better then my '13 did.

Thats not to knock it though, neighbor liked mine and bought a Sport trading in his Infinity QX56 (1st gen).

Some things bothered me, the gas mileage isn't great, actually city and highway about the same as friends Jeep SRT-8, new ones with the 8 speed are quite better in real world then the old ones with the poorly geared 5 speed. Problem is the tiny ass gas tank annoyed the hell out of me lol, made me feel like I was always filling up. Though the mileage was about the same, the Jeep has like a 25 gallon tank which makes for a huge difference.

Back