Interested in a sport, so how do they drive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interested in a sport, so how do they drive?

Rohardi

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Infiniti Q50
So I have been intrigued by the 2016 explorer sport the past few weeks. They look very sharp and aggressive. I currently drive a 2014 Infiniti Hybrid Q50 Sport and was planning on a new M3 in the spring however I live in New England and we have snowy winters and RWD in a M3 may not be worth it. Prior to getting the Q50, I had ordered a 2014 M5, but canceled my order due to the New England winters. So, I know a Explorer won't drive like a M3 or M5, but how do these things drive? Do they feel like a truck or do they really have some "sport" to them? I haven't been able to get down and test drive one, but I'm looking forward to it. Has anyone come over from a car to the Explorer Sport that can lend some of their observations after driving the Explorer as a daily driver for a little while. Any regrets?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drives great. Very responsive, and fast. Feels bigger than it is which is not a good thing. Glides on the freeway like your riding on air. The quality is probably not going to be what you are used to, but other than that they are a joy to drive.

If the people building these actualy took pride in their work and Ford cared about quality, there would not be an SUV out there in my opinion that could match the Explorer Sport for the price.

In general they drive quite well. Over the past many years I've owned two mid 80's Porsche's a 944 and a 911. I also have owned a '89 SHO and 2000 Lincoln LS V8 Sport. So from this perspective I've driven a number of cars with varying degree's of "high performance". The Sport compares well with this group. Although it's actually my wife's daily driver, I have noticed it is very fast, handles well and corners fairly flat.

As mentioned above it does feel "large" when driven. I don't care for the driver's position in that there isn't much room to extend your left leg.

However, I would spend some time reading posts on this board regarding exhaust smell, water leaks, paint issues as well as power steering issues. Our particular example does seem to have the exhaust smell issue with exhaust smell entering the cabin under WOT. While the smell clears fairly quickly, I've never had another vehicle do that before be it a car or an SUV. There is a TSB for this that the best I can tell, from reading this board, is not particularly effective. What I find surprising about the Explorer is that many of these issues seem to have persisted since this new body style came out in 2011. If I had done a better job of doing my due diligence on this vehicle we likely would not have purchased it. Hers will be gone before the bumper to bumper expires.

My wife had two Lexus RX models prior to getting the Sport. While I don't know much about the Infiniti line you likely won't be getting the same level of fit and finish as well as dealer experience.

If you take the plunge be sure to check the one you select very carefully regarding fit and finish issues. On my wife's Sport, the exhaust issue didn't manifest itself until the 3,000 mile mark.

Overall, it's fun to drive, but...

(I would be remiss however if I didn't state my wife loves her Sport)

It's a blast to drive. Great vehicle for taking a trip or a daily commute. It feels like it can handle anything you throw at it. The seat takes some getting used to, but I have gotten there and have no complaints. I absolutely love the power. It seems to respond really well to high octane fuel once it senses it adjusts its timing accordingly.

In regards to the exhaust smell, I have not noticed this issue on my '16 Sport.

In regards to sulphur smell, I have only noted it once or twice, and it quickly dissipated. I do enjoy driving this vehicle very hard at times and it pops up <5% of the time.

I have not had hood paint issues.

I would purchase this again. IMO, it's the nicest looking SUV on the road.

So I have been intrigued by the 2016 explorer sport the past few weeks. They look very sharp and aggressive. I currently drive a 2014 Infiniti Hybrid Q50 Sport and was planning on a new M3 in the spring however I live in New England and we have snowy winters and RWD in a M3 may not be worth it. Prior to getting the Q50, I had ordered a 2014 M5, but canceled my order due to the New England winters. So, I know a Explorer won't drive like a M3 or M5, but how do these things drive? Do they feel like a truck or do they really have some "sport" to them? I haven't been able to get down and test drive one, but I'm looking forward to it. Has anyone come over from a car to the Explorer Sport that can lend some of their observations after driving the Explorer as a daily driver for a little while. Any regrets?

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Best advice I can give regarding "how do they drive?" is to tell you to take one or two for a test drive. That is the only way to get a true feeling for it and to determine if it suits YOU. Different people always have different likes and dislikes.

Peter

I have a 2014 Sport and my wife has a BMW X3. I love the way my Sport drives and my wife thinks the seats are much more comfortable than in the X3. But the X3 definitely feels more like a sports car to drive. I tried out an X5 before I bought my Explorer because it is closer to the Explorer than the X3, and I could tell the Ultimate Driving Machine approach is different than a Ford. But the Ford was a much better value and in many ways a better vehicle for me.

As Peter said you have to try it. The Explorer Sport is a great vehicle. But you have to decide if it is "Sport" enough for you. It is not a track car like an M3 or M5. But I'd rather drive across country in an Explorer.

I'm new to the Explorer - picked up a 2013 Sport.

I've driven BMW (X3, X5 Sport), Audi (Q7), Nissan (Pathfinder, Xterra) SUVs in the past and I think the Ex Sport compares well. There are definitely some trade offs, my X5 M Sport suspension cornered like a go-kart which is something to be said for a 5,000 LB truck. The Ex Sport suspension isn't as tight, which I like. It doesn't corner like my X5 but its respectable again given the size of the truck.

So far I'm happy with my purchase. It definitely glides on the road whereas my BMWs felt every rock on the road. It feels big which I like, and its smooth which the wife and kids like!

If the people building these actualy took pride in their work and Ford cared about quality, there would not be an SUV out there in my opinion that could match the Explorer Sport for the price.

It could not have been said better, I hope Ford reads this post.

Great input guys. I may try to get out and test drive one this weekend.The only reason I have been reluctant to test drive is I won't be getting in to a new car until the late spring, so I don't feel like being pressured by pushy sales people. I have to say there is a lot of bang for the buck with this SUV. Lease payment will be a huge savings. I tried to float the idea of a M3 and Explorer combo as the Payments would be in the same area as a M5 lease but the wife said I can only have 1 car lol We also have 2 labs, so putting 2 crazy dogs in my current car or a BMW M car is another reason I'm looking at SUVs. Currently my wife Mazda CX5 is on dog duty exclusively and she's not happy about that...

Great input guys. I may try to get out and test drive one this weekend.The only reason I have been reluctant to test drive is I won't be getting in to a new car until the late spring, so I don't feel like being pressured by pushy sales people. I have to say there is a lot of bang for the buck with this SUV. Lease payment will be a huge savings. I tried to float the idea of a M3 and Explorer combo as the Payments would be in the same area as a M5 lease but the wife said I can only have 1 car lol We also have 2 labs, so putting 2 crazy dogs in my current car or a BMW M car is another reason I'm looking at SUVs. Currently my wife Mazda CX5 is on dog duty exclusively and she's not happy about that...
You would be close to having the 2017 model out by then.

Peter

I agree with the earlier comment that it "feels big". I came from a Taurus SHO which is basically the same drivetrain and body structure of the Ex. Sport. I think the steering is a lot tighter but that could just be the new vehicle rather than driving one with 30k on it. I have no issues with it but recall it is a Sport, so the suspension is a bit stiffer than the normal Explorer.

Def. go for a test drive. Be upfront and say you are just looking to experience the ride and not looking for an immediate purchase. Make that clear.

Big difference between the sports sedans you mentioned and the Ex.

If you truly want a SUV/CUV, the Sport looks great and handles very well for its size. I have the NA V6 but have driven the Sport (not the '16, though).

On the other hand, given you mentioned M3/M5, might want to look at S4/S5/S6 with AWD if you decide the EX is too big. Then, a lot of BMW people don't like Audi and vice versa.

If you prefer german-style handling, you should also consider the new Mazda CX-9, which will be unveiled in mid-Nov at the LA Auto Show. Supposedly available in Q1 2016 as a 2017 model. The point is that it's near universally accepted that the CX9 is the most car-like of the 3-row SUVs. Feels smaller than it is. The new one would likely retain that.

I came from a '11 G37 into my '14 Ex Sport, so somewhat of a similar move. There were only a few things I didnt like about the G. Rear seats didnt fold down, driver seat had those cracks in the leather making it look worn by about 20k on it (in no way am I a large person, barley 140lbs) and i started to get a lot of rock chips along the bottom of the doors (splash guards would have prevented this). Overall nothing major and I like the car and it was extremely reliable.

Basically got into the sport because of impulse, I change vehicles every 2-3 years. Love the looks, impressed with interior, liked the additional space and how the ecoboost performed. Ive had my '14 for just over a year now and have 16k on it. The MPG hit compared to the G is minimal. Right now I average 18ish in mixed driving. Winter is usually 16-17. If I am on a striaght highway trip I'll see low 20's. I am also Unleashed Tuned now which gave me a night and day difference in performance and slight bump in MPG.

My complaints with the Ex are I feel these tires are absolutely horrible in winter. I did purchase PI wheels and snow tires for this winter though. I have an issue in the summers where my AC will not come on when the button is first pressed. The light comes on but the air will not get cold. I have to turn it on and off until it starts working. Even thought I have the premium audio in the Ex, the Infiniti system I enjoyed much better. So nothing major with this vehicle either.

Will I keep the Ex? No, but it is not out of dislike. I just feel like I want to go back to a pickup. I had a Silverado before the G and miss some of the capabilities. I also miss the G quite a bit. I had exhaust on it and that VQ is a great sounding motor.

But IMO with a M5 in your budget I'd be looking else where especially if you're looking to keep the vehicle long term. What about the X5 M or SQ5? The infiniti QX70 is supposed to be getting redesigned as well. Good luck with your search.

The title of the thread that the OP started is, Interested in a sport, so how do they drive?
Not many replies have addressed that question. He isn't looking for suggestions for alternate choices in vehicles. Please stay on the topic. Thanks.

Peter

The title of the thread that the OP started is, Interested in a sport, so how do they drive?
Not many replies have addressed that question. He isn't looking for suggestions for alternate choices in vehicles. Please stay on the topic. Thanks.

Peter
Well, so few people are addressing the question "how do they drive" because the answer is so self-evident -- a simple test drive answers it. The OP is obviously open to makes & models so alternative suggestions only makes sense.

P.s. nobody likes a forum nanny.

Well, so few people are addressing the question "how do they drive" because the answer is so self-evident -- a simple test drive answers it. The OP is obviously open to makes & models so alternative suggestions only makes sense.

P.s. nobody likes a forum nanny.
As a moderator on this forum it is part of my job to try and keep threads on track. The OP has acknowledged that a test drive is in the plans but not right away.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a moderator on this forum it is part of my job to try and keep threads on track. The OP has acknowledged that a test drive is in the plans but not right away.

Peter
Sorry bout that; didn't mean to hassle a Mod. They really should indicate Mod status to the left. :rant::rant::rant:

Back