Is it possible to put a chevy 350 in a 1997 explorer??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to put a chevy 350 in a 1997 explorer???

Ford never standardized anything, and the end result of all that is though their engines can run if properly built, they'll cost you double what it takes to put together a decent Chevy motor.

WHAT?

What the heck are you talking about?

Talking about 'cost to build' in a Ford vs. Chevy debate is truely ridiculous.

I have built a number of high performance engines, and I can tell you that on the HIGH end of the spectrum, Ford and Chevy are IDENTICAL in price to build. Custom Pistons, Custom Rods, Custom Cranks, Custom Cams, and I'm not talking 'off the shelf, in-stock @ your local CSK/Autozone/NAPA, I'm talking Totally custom, 3-8 week turnaround time....all come at a price!

Even on the LOW end of a decently built SBC and SBF, I'd GUARANTEE you less than a $100 difference between the 2. And the difference wouldn't be in the direction you are trying to argue.

You want to see expensive, try to build a Big Block Oldmobile, or Big Block Buick...and then get back to me on what it costs to build them.

Truth be told, I have a friend with a SBC in a `86 Ranger that turns High 10's on the bottle, & Low 11's off the bottle, so yes it CAN be done....but like everybody here has said....by the time you paid for the custom parts needed to make the swap, you could have had a Ford engine in there.

Ryan

Back