Chevy engine swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chevy engine swap

I hope this thread can now get on track. I say go for it. Nothing is stopping you from what i read.

Please refrain from any more negative comments.

To quote the mr elect.
nike2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might help you a ton with some clearance issues if you installed a body lift before trying to get the dimensions/ mock everything up. Of course, you are going to have to pay close attention to header clearance, oil pan clearance, and mock up a nice custom Y-pipe. I would also look into an oil filter relocation kit, although I am not sure about the exact orientation of the filter on the 350 motor. But what am I saying, you seem like you have your fair share of experience and know what you are doing with this.

I'm under the impression that a 350 weighs somewhere in the 550-600 lbs range. If anyone could chime in with a weight figure for the stock 4.0 that might give you an idea of the spring rate difference you have to address. I think the TTB should be able to take that extra weight, depending on the size tires you are running and how hard you beat on your rig.

As for everyone flaming on p100 and his Chevy motor, nothing beats the after market for a 350, even when compared to the 302. There are endless options for that motor, and in the end when completely built it will **** all over the 302. I don't care how much of a "ford guy" any of you are, sometimes you have to just grow a set and face the facts.

I already have a 3" body lift to clear the 265/75 16s i have on it now.

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0408081703bo1.jpg

I was building a big horsepower 302 for my Mustang and i traded the Mustang for a tranny and transfer case from an F150 and some cash. I have this 302 sitting here built so i'm leaning toward throwing it in the Explorer. I have two complete drive trains so i'll probably end up going with whatever sounds good the day i slap it in.

Exhaust wise i'm probably going to build some headers if i don't find anything i like and i'm running straight pipes that exit in front of the rear tires. If i run mufflers at all it will only be glasspacks for the look of legality.

Hey man choose whichever you feel you can make work without going nuts fabricating/ customizing in the process. A built 302 can definitely make sufficient power to make that Ex move, especially with a more truck oriented/ torquey cam etc. The benefit of putting that 302 in is that there are loads of info on the swap and wiring, adapting motor mounts you can simply order, and plenty of guys on the site to offer you advice when it comes to comparing part setups, drivetrain choices, and fitment.

Swapping in the 350, you are going to have to put a lot of thought into the whole 4WD aspect of the setup, splicing a custom wiring harness, choosing a t-case, and getting a proper length/ yoked driveshaft. Being that you have the 4 door, I don't think you would have to worry too much about how long the custom trans/ t-case setup would be in length impacting the ending pinion angle, which is a nice thing. Honestly, I wish you would go this route, I would LOVE to see a first gen with that monster small block under the hood. It all depends how deep you want to get into a project like that basically running solo considering not many people on this site know much about that motor in these trucks.

Another thing that I worry about with this swap - don't the majority of Chevy trucks running 350's have a passenger side pig in the front axle? I'm sure with an Advance Adapters part you could run the 700R4 with the BW1354 or maybe even the BW1356. RESEARCH RESEARCH!!! haha

P.S. - Nice job on the 3 inch body, that bumper looks great with it.

If he wants something people will go "Ooooo! Ahhhh!" over, cram a 427 SOHC reproduction in it.

While that would be a wet dream come true...I wouldn't wanna get a second mortgage on my house to buy one! Last one I saw was $17,000 and needed a rebuild! :eek: Of course it was an original.

Don't know what the repops cost...Hell I didn't even know they were making them.

I'm going carburated and leaving the body harness intact while removing the engine harness, chevy or ford. I will have a tach, oil pressure, temp, and volts as far as gauges go. It's stupid simple to run a carburated smallblock. I only need three or four wires and i'll be using a chevy alternator, single wire, no matter what.

I have a machinist who will set me up with any brackets i need made if i go the chevy route. The body lift was added to clear the tires i already had from another Ex.

http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2603081255vu8.jpg

If i go the chevy route i have a D44 for the front but i kind of want to leave the stock suspension in for a while since it's a mud truck mainly and i don't need a buttload of flex. I bought it as a toy/project and the drivetrain comes first.

P100ki- Make any engine swap moves yet? I'm curious to hear what motor you are choosing and/or the progress you have made. :hammer:

I got the factory drivetrain out but then i bought another Camaro that i had been trying to buy for about 5 years. The guy finally called and made me a deal i couldn't refuse so the Explorer is getting the built 302 and the Camaro is getting the 350 or 383.

I had access to a rolled '85 K5 Blazer a while back with axles and full drivetrain. My dad has a SB 400 sitting on a stand in the garage... I thought for a while about getting the blazer, using the 400 with its tranny, transfer case, and axles into one of my Explorers. Then I got lazy...

Hmmm...I would HOPE a built 350 would outperform a 302, although it's ALL subjective. HOW built? I'd take a 351W over a 350 to build ANY day. I've seen PLENTY of 350's get SPANKED with this motor.

There's "built" 500 HP 350's, there's "built" 500 HP 302's...and WAY more HP than that.

My buddies 93 foxbody "5.0" is running a 700 HP 351W that craps on everything at the track.

I don't care what you run...if you have the money to build it, you WILL be the fastest.

Go on a GM forum and tell them you're putting a 302 in a blazer. They'll probably ban you from the site. Not kidding.

How much power do you need? This is what I've started to build (460 in a '78 Ford) as the cash comes by, heh. Or as much cash as the wife lets me spend. This video is what began my insanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32MMYYSsY5g

Thanks for that link! This was on there too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6KOehtOmu4&feature=related

The "Golden Age" of monster trucks, when they were REAL TRUCKS, before they became specialized, space-frame racecars with flyweight fiberglass bodies designed to fall off.

There's a couple clips of the original "Gravedigger" in it too. The ones running now look nothing like the original, just a vague resemblance to the body shape.

Why not do the LM7 (5.3) GM swap. Here are my reasons for suggesting such;

1. Very cheap, complete engine from a junk yard for $500,
2. Economical, 22+ MPG,
3. With a cam and intake/exhaust, these things are putting out over 400 crank HP,
4. Advance adapter makes the kit to bolt the 700R4 to the 1350 transfercase ($510),
5. They also make a kit to fix the new GM engines to 700R4/4L60 tranny ($183),
6. You can buy Painlesswiring harness and it will be a fairly easy install $750).
7 If you can find one, get the LM4 or L33 (HO version), both are aluminum which will save 80lbs but more pricy.

The LM7 was rated at 295 HP/335 TQ,
The LM4 was the same but aluminum,
The L33 was rated at 310 HP/335 TQ.

My .02 and possible a very near future project. I already own an LS2 powered vehicle so upgrade parts for the 5.3 will be plentiful for me.

**EDIT** MSD also sells a stand alone engine controller so all electronics and EFI can be utilized. Or go carb and get even more power, plus look cooler under the hood.

Back