Exploring XLT

Never Stop Explorering
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stony Plain
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one can really answer that. Will it be better than no subwoofer? Yes. Will it impress anyone else? Probably not.

How much better than no subwoofer? I've never had one, so not sure what to expect.

I don’t really understand systems with no subwoofer. Even a cheesy one adds bass door speakers can’t even think of touching.

Do you still have the factory radio?

It has a new Pioneer deck:
MVH-S512BS - Digital Media Receiver with Enhanced Audio Functions, Pioneer Smart Sync App, MIXTRAX®, Built-in Bluetooth®, and SiriusXM-Ready™
Pioneer speakers coming today:
TS-A6880F - 6"x8" 4-Way Coaxial Speaker
I have this amp for the speakers:
GM-D9500F - Class-FD 4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier
So the lower signal level means it will be harder to make loud enough? In theory should this be alright due to the amp being slightly higher wattage than the Subwoofer?

I just installed something similar to what you are doing in my ‘94 4dr. I went with a 12” sub with a ported box and it sounds amazing.
From what i read when doing my research, it is better to have an amp that has higher wattage RMS than the speakers, than to have an amp with a lower wattage RMS than the speakers.

I just installed something similar to what you are doing in my ‘94 4dr. I went with a 12” sub with a ported box and it sounds amazing.
From what i read when doing my research, it is better to have an amp that has higher wattage RMS than the speakers, than to have an amp with a lower wattage RMS than the speakers.
The issue here is that watts aren’t watts. I’d take 500 watts from Rockford Fosgate or JL over 1000 watts from a Pioneer, Sony, etc.

Signal to noise isn’t about loudness. That’d be the speakers sensitivity in dB, usually done at a single watt, a meter away.

The issue here is that watts aren’t watts. I’d take 500 watts from Rockford Fosgate or JL over 1000 watts from a Pioneer, Sony, etc.

Signal to noise isn’t about loudness. That’d be the speakers sensitivity in dB, usually done at a single watt, a meter away.

Ok cool, thanks for the heads up.
I’m still a rookie at this too lol

You’ll add bass. Sound quality will be somewhat dependent on the box, and also how hard you drive the amp, gain and boost wise.

Ok, here's the sub and amp
20200304_132647.jpg

And here are the new vs old speakers...
20200304_132254.jpg

I really don't know why my sound was bad.

Just needed more power to the paper speakers

It has bass lol, now just have to wait for the speaker wire so I can put the new speakers and speaker amp in.

One thing I used, that I had never used before, is wiring ferrules.
They made for a much cleaner stronger connections, versus just shoving bare wire in there and tightening the set screw.
That box is kinda small, but I bet you will notice a big difference over having nothing

I love ferrules. I use them everywhere, unless there’s a good reason not to

Back