• Register Today It's free!

is she gonna blow?

xltguy

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
'97 5.0 AWD with tow package, towing 3700 lb trailer for the first time. Truck runs great, no trans probs previously. Before towing, had transmission flushed and refilled, transfer case, front and rear diff. fluids changed. So, pulling up Colorado mountains with OD off transmission downshifts when speed drops to about 55 and rpms are screamin....like 4500-4800. Can the engine sustain such rpms for 2-3 minutes at a time? Is something wrong? I am afraid it is going to blow up. Temp guage stays right in the middle. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoah! Slow down there buddy. You should NOT be pulling a 3700 LB trailer up a hill doing 55! You should slow down to about 40 at least.

Prolonged high rpms aren't good for the engine. It is like sitting in a parking lot and revving it to 4800 for two minutes. You just wouldn't do that.
3000 RPM's are the max I go when pulling uphill. I have a 4.0 OHV, and I have pulled a 2200 LB trailer uphill, and remember, we have BIG mountains here in B.C.
I thought I was going to blow at 3000 RPM, so I couldn't even imagine 45-4700 :eek:

at least the 5.0 can handle it a bit better than the OHV.

But ya, you might need to slow down. I know it sucks, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. When towing a trailer or coming up on a nasty hill, I always try to get good momentum before the rise. I know I go over the speed limit when I do this, but it helps.

Thanks. I get it....slow down dummy. But, keep rpm under 3000 while climbing a hill? I am near 3000 at 55-60 mph on flat road with OD off (speed limit is 75 so I am already traveling pretty slow). Is the consensus that speed should be reduced to keep rpm below 3000 while towing with the 5.0?

Its just easier on your engine to keep the rpms lower. I agree, 4500 rpm is pretty high for a sustained climb. I wouldn't do it. I would slow down and sustain about 2500-3200 rpm while climbing.

Brian

When I am trying to maintain speed whether it be going up the mountains in Colorado or pulling a heavy trailer, I try and split the difference between the HP peak and the torque peak. If it is a steep grade or heavy load, you should keep the RPMs above the torque peak, but don't exceed the HP peak. Following this procedure I have been able to put 92K of trouble free miles on my '97 SOHC, many while pulling a heavy trailer and many more while going up steep mountain grades. My SOHC likes to rev higher than your 5.0L so I had no problems running for hours on end at 4000 RPM when I pulled a 4000 lb. trailer from Ohio to Arizona. When I got to the mountains in Northern AZ there were a few grades that I had to lock my transmission in 2 (3rd gear) to maintain 45-50 MPH. My RPM was pretty high for the couple of minutes that I did it. On the 5.0L I wouldn't try pulling a heavy load up the mountains in Colorado at 4600-4800 RPM. The HP peak is only 4600 RPM (at least on the '97 5.0L). As you get above that your torque will drop off quite a bit. The HP is what will keep you moving at your present speed, the torque is what gets you up to the speed. I would try and keep it around 4000 RPM or less. You shouldn't hurt anything if you exceed 4000, but I wouldn't want to put the heavy stress on the engine for prolonged periods of time. On the OHV, I wouldn't go over about 3500 RPM for extended periods of time. I remember my '94 4.0L felt pretty weak above 4000 RPM.

That level of detail is exactly what my brain needed. It gives me the info to understand what I am trying to do while pulling the trailer. Should come in handy this weekend on the first real camping trip. Now if I can just keep my 5 and 2 year olds happy in their car seats for the 4 hour drive! Thanks again...this is a very helpful and informative group.

Originally posted by xltguy
Now if I can just keep my 5 and 2 year olds happy in their car seats for the 4 hour drive! .

Just get them to count certain types of vehicles you pass on the highway on the road. Big rigs work good for that, as they amuse small kids.

Just don't teach them to encourage the truckers to honk their horn by pulling their hand down from the ceiling. The first time a trucker lays on the horn as you go by and aren't aware that your kids encouraged it will get your attention.

Back