Its Been asked before but... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Its Been asked before but...

I know I am about to suffer grievous harm for asking a question that has already been asked, but before I spend my money I want to be 95 to 100 percent sure.

I am currently running a 1998 Ford Explorer 4 door XLT, V6 SOHC 4wd, stock (no lift), pretty sure it has tow package. Shocks done 15-20k miles ago. (OE style, nothing special). Lifting it right now is probably not an option.

On it are Good Year Wranglers 235/75R15. I need new tires and am looking at General Grabber AT2s in 31x10.5R15.

A few questions:
I know the Explorers are supposed to fit 31s stock ride height but I just want to be sure it will be OK, no rubbing. I have heard that suspension sag can cause problems with that. Is there anyway to check for that (suspension sag)? Should I be OK with 31s? (Tires are actually 30.8 according to General.)

Next Question, anyone ran with the Grabber AT2s before? I have heard they are supposed to be similar to BFG ATKOs, but cheaper in price. Are they any good?

Final Question, if I do install shackles and do a TT, what, if any, long or short term extra maintenance can I expect to see? Will there be greater wear on any of the components, suspension, CVs, etc, with 2" of lift or less?

Also, I know the more aggressive tread and larger size will negatively affect mileage, but on a 31 how much worse is that going to be?

the vehicle is my DD, mostly sees use on small town roads. I live in upstate New York, and where I am we see pretty much every extreme in weather. I do plan to eventually trail with it, mostly on the property I live on, as well as some other places.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cant help you much, but the sag would be pretty noticeable. Just park on a level surface, and get out and see if your Explorer leans to either side, or sits lower in the back.

(Very common, especially on Sports)

Thank you, cant say I have noticed that, I will pay closer attention next time I park it work.

I'd go with the TT & shackles to be extra sure you'll clear the 31s. It's cheap & easy.

If you keep the TT up front below 2'' in lift, you won't have any adverse effects. Make it 1-1.5'' to keep it safe, if you want. At 2'' or more, you put your CVs at a bad angle and will cause greater wear and potential failure.

For the shackles, you will cause more stress on the leaf springs and they will likely flatten out quicker over time. But this will happen over an extended period of time without heavy off-roading (mine has been lifted 5 years now and my spring are just showing signs of getting tired) to the point of it being almost a non-issue.

Good luck...

Thanks for the reply, my only issue with the lift right now is convincing my fiance its a good idea, that of course can sometimes be difficult :p: It is something I want to do though in the future.

Just do it and don't tell her - she won't even notice. Just attribute the higher vehicle to the larger tires. :D

LMAO, I like that idea. Maybe something to consider...

Back