Talk me out of Destination AT's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Talk me out of Destination AT's

I need to replace my LTX M/S.

95% pavement
4% towing
1% dirt/gravel road

I am also considering General Grabber HTS, but by all accounts it sounds like the Destination AT is just as quiet but slightly more aggressive.

Of course, the General Grabber AT2's and BFG AT KO's are tempting because they look better, but I guess I am more concerned with noise and ride comfort. One benefit of the BFG's is that costco is offering $70 off right now if you buy all 4, but Firestone auto care is essentially offering the same thing on Destinations with 15% off each tire.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It all depends on how much you want to spend. The BFGs are more expensive, but will do better off road, i have a set of both. They ride well on road too. I have never tried the Generals. I wish i could compare the ride qualities for you but the set of BFGs i have are a larger size. For your use i would say the Firestones. I have around 15k miles on the firestones and they are wearing great, i like them and they are quiet and ride smooth. I bought them for about $111 a tire, installed, last year.

I just got the general grabbers at2 and will recommend them with high marks(Not to mention better reviews than the BFGoodriches! They are quieter than my tires on my 06 stratus. :D

Maybe I need to consider Revos too. Firestone is offering buy 3 get 1 free...

+2 for the general grabber at 2. Great tire and little noise.

I've had the Destination A/T's on my 07 for about 2 months now. I picked them because they were were priced right, look good with the side tread and came highly recommended by a friend of mine who works for a tire distribution company that deals in all major brands.

There is no increase in road noise over the Goodyear Fortera's that they replaced.

i have the destination ATs also and ive had them on the trails about as much as i do on road. they have worked well for me from sand to rock, not so much mud... i have them in a 33x12.5x15 so it has a good sized foot print the good part is that there is no road noise. i tend to like the noise, but most people dont.
my 2 cents...
also i got them for a deal, i know the manager at the local firestone and i negotiated a little on the price.. ;)

Why not another set of LTX M/S's? Did you not like them? I ask because I'm seriously considering them for my truck.

Just a few weeks ago I put the Destination ATs on my Ranger, and love them. Yes, the ride is a little noisier and rougher but you can really feel them grabbing the road. Completely solved my Goodyear wet weather spinning problem. Before the sale ended I went back and got the Destination LEs for my wife's Liberty.
Smoother and quieter, but not as tough for trails. Mine were about $110, hers $105 at the sale price (buy 3 get one free).

Why not another set of LTX M/S's? Did you not like them? I ask because I'm seriously considering them for my truck.

Just to try something different. The LTX M/S is a great tire.

I really like my BFG at's and they are actually quieter than the goodyear silent armos that were on it when I bought it. The experience that I've had with the destination a/ts on one of my friends heep is that they had quite a bit more road noise than my BFG's.

I used to have the AT's. Had them for 8 months or so before changing wheels/tires. I had a lot of problems with getting them balanced and the sidewalls were cracked after 8,000 miles(2 had less than 5,000).

Other than that, they are pretty good tires. Had great traction in the wet, snow and mud. Look decent too, I had the white letters out. So you can't really go to wrong with tires nowadays. I think it may come down to what pleases you visually.

I just had the Destination ATs put on my wife's '02 XLT. I must say I'm very please by how true they ride. The noise seems less than with the BFGs I had previously.
My decision was based mostly on the high marks on TireRack....so far so good.

Note: If looks are important then keep in mind that the Destinations resemble plain ol' winter tires with a very square shoulder. Much less aggressive that the OE tires I had in the past.

I just bought a set of 4 Destination A/T's from Tire Rack, primarily due to the excellent reviews they had there, plus I like the looks. My Explorer will see mostly highway driving, but when the ice and snow hits, I want to know I don't have to worry about being able to get around. Once a year, I head to the beaches of the Outer Banks, and I wanted a tire that could go in the sand too, for the price, these tires look like a good deal.

Back