I've been violated! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've been violated!

2 weeks ago my hood got jamed and I needed to cut the grill center out to get at the lock. Well the jb weld wizards came to my aid. I put humpte dumpy back to together and resprayed a faded bug deflector. It was only 105 today so paint dried in 1.5 hours.

image.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

last night some hood rat smashed out the back window stole my hi lift jack 5-1 port power unit. And a milk crate of tools and oil. It took 3 hours with the shop vac to clean the glass and remove the gasket. The gasket is bolted and glued in to secure the rear hatch. I cut the gasket off I did not know its bolted in the hatch and pulled it off. What cleans the glue off the hatch.

View attachment 91607
Well today I went to Home Depot and checked out a sheet of uv/ protected on both sides and garented to be 250 times stronger than glass. Price $100. And a tube of sealer $10.00 so for around $125.00 you can make a uv lexan rear window that's stronger than glass my only concern scratches will it get cloudy if you go threw a car wash and get cloudy from road sand and wind.

I used a very large piece years ago, and made it double layer. It's stronger, and has an air gap in between so it's like a double pane window. It never fogged, and I didn't need a rear defrost or wiper. The only disadvantage was that it was the old type, and is completely yellow now. That sheet cost $60 back then. It scratches easier than glass but you don't have to worry about it getting broken into (unless they rip out the lock cylinder which they did to mine).

I went to Homer today they sell 2 types of lexan stock no uv listed then theirs a double sided uv rated that's $25.00 a sheet the 1/2 sheet is around $125.00 that's cheaper than 350 new. Used the bone yards want 200 plus shipping. I'm thinking what about heat we had 115 temps last week so I can't even thinks about a couple hours in sun.

A friend of mine wanted to get rid of his old hot water tank because it was getting old, and the warranty was almost up. He called me, and asked if I could take it to a scrap metal place. There's one place on a broken street without any sidewalks. They never paved that street in my lifetime. I was a few feet away from that place driving very slowly, then I hit a pothole. I heard a loud crack from the rear. The tank jumped, and slipped sideways into my rear side window! I had broken glass with a huge hole in the window. it wasn't worth the $5 that they gave me for the tank. I wasted a whole day running around trying to locate a different side window.

A place called Satellite Auto Glass only sells used glass. They said that they located one junk place with a clear glass for $135 plus tax. They couldn't find anybody else with the exact color tint. I called Safelite which only sells new glass. They wanted $245 plus tax plus an extra fee for getting rid of the old glass. They charge an extra $25 if they have to come to you. They said that they could take off $10 for a discount. It's way too expensive. I stopped by a regular glass place (not automotive glass), and they said that they don't have odd pieces of Lexan, and they have to charge me for a large sheet which is $150. Then I went to an iron & welding shop. They gave me a piece of 14 gauge sheet metal. I burned out the switch in my angle grinder so I had to finish the job with a circular saw. I had a spare switch for the angle grinder, so it works now.

14 gauge sheet metal..JPG

Old rubber gasket..JPG

The sheet metal window is in..JPG

I like that color green. Can you post more pics of it?

No local auto parts store stocks this color paint. I've been making phone calls all morning. I haven't tried the body shop supply places. I saw it online, but then it takes a week to get. I'm still in the process of sealing the sheet metal. It started to rain, and it was leaking Now it stopped raining. Maybe I'll try to finish sealing it up. Here's another picture of the van:

Large picture of the van..jpg

Good job I made a rear window out of cardboard to see if I can get use to no window. It's tuff with lane changing and parking in shopping centers. If I can get use to it Home Depot sells tin in Vegas. We don't get foul weather of a $20. Sheet of Masonite . They want $375. Plus gaskets. I'm looking for a blue tooth or hard wire rear cam. I have a few xtra cells from sprint. And the 4-6 note 2 or my iPhone 6+ is a good screen for a car cam.
On a different note I contacted WESTFILA VW . A rear tire carrier that mounts on the back bumper needs 6"1/4 hight to wrap around the bumper. I'm going to Homer and get 2 3-3 posts glue bolt and mount it to the steel bumper. Instead of the fiber glass cover. The rear mount and all the mounting brackets to give me a swing away tire . With mounts with bikes and gas cans ect.. For around $275.

Go to Homer get a can of rustolium forest or hunter green at 60 mph you can't tell

I bought a can of Krylon paint + primer combo at Ace Hardware ($4.99 for 12 oz). The color is just a little lighter than what I have now. It's not too bad but I would like to get the exact color eventually.

The biggest 14" tire I found that most places are stocking is a general grabber 27-8.5-14 it's an inch and 1/2 taller than stock for $119.00. The problem I find is crag list tires no lug or center caps that add up in cash. My rear struts blew over night I don't know why we had 115 temp for about 2 weeks. I went tonight to lift the hatch and forget it . You need 2 strong men and a boy that fiberglass hatch is heave with no window. Pep boys wants $22.00 each.

The 88-95 laced design 15" jeep cherokee wheels look good on the aerostar. Most junk yards part with them for $35-50 each.

The 88-95 laced design 15" jeep cherokee wheels look good on the aerostar. Most junk yards part with them for $35-50 each.
Thanks for the input, there's a guy selling on Craig list but there 16" gold lace 4 for 300 with 50% rubber left.

Back