Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayz2000Sport

Reaction score
City, State
College Dover DE,Baltimore(Essex) Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
OK wanted to see what everyones top 5 MPG increasing mods would be. With gas prices climbing this is a very important issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean all of the **** you don't need out of your vehicle. No need hauling extra weight around with you every where you go for no good reason.

Smooth Acceleration, Smooth braking or coasting.

In no particular order

K&N/other filter
1.6 roller rockers
Torque monster headers
Tune
Synthetic fluids

1. Never drive with under inflated tires.
2. Always use clean fluids.
3. Thinner grade oil will give you a little more MPG.
4. Don't have a heavy foot. Moderately use the accelerator.
5. Try to avoid using the brakes excessively if possible. Coasting at a constant speed within the speed limit should help.

Check the links in # 24 in my list of useful threads for more information, and AlDive's Quest for 30 thread.

I know that weight reduction can help. I removed my running boards, (those things are crazy heavy, I could not believe it when I took them off.) and I took off my roof rack cross bars (more of a cosmetic touch). I know that the spare is pretty heavy but with all the back and fourth highway travel I do I really cannot afford to lose it. Anyone have any suggestions for other weight reduction?

I know that weight reduction can help. I removed my running boards, (those things are crazy heavy, I could not believe it when I took them off.) and I took off my roof rack cross bars (more of a cosmetic touch). I know that the spare is pretty heavy but with all the back and fourth highway travel I do I really cannot afford to lose it. Anyone have any suggestions for other weight reduction?

Depends on what you are willing to live without. Headliners, rear seats, plastic trim, center console, radio, AC...

Al, did you ever see if nitrogen in the tires does anything for MPG?

Only thing nitrogen does is remove moisture from inside the tire. Nitrogen has less moisture to heatup and expand than air does.

Wouldn't helium be better since it's lighter than air, and expands when it gets hot? You wouldn't have to worry about under inflated tires while driving on the highway with road friction. It's readily available in any place which has party supplies. Would a welding shop have nitrogen gas?

Helium molecules are much smaller than nitrogen or oxygen molecules, so it would probably cause leakdown problems much more quickly. Also, you don't want a gas that expands rapidly with temperature because you would constantly have to fiddle with tire pressures to keep them properly inflated.....

At least nobody suggested using hydrogen!:fire::dead:
699973160_l.jpg

Helium molecules are much smaller than nitrogen or oxygen molecules, so it would probably cause leakdown problems much more quickly. Also, you don't want a gas that expands rapidly with temperature because you would constantly have to fiddle with tire pressures to keep them properly inflated.....

Indeed.

I'm ex-Navy. I used to make the N2 for the aircraft tires. They can't run air because it explodes on carrier landings from the sudden heating and expansion. I knew a few guys who ran N2 in their car tires. It maintains a much steadier pressure, but it can be expensive (unless you can get it free at work). No greater milage than air if properly maintained...just easier to maintain. Moisture isn't the culprit (dry air is available and cheaper), It's the 21% O2 that gets ya.

The best way to save gas is to avoid using the brakes and drift more. Allow more following distance etc. Every time you brake and hit the gas again in traffic is just a waste.

Ziggy

Manual Transmission
Keep the Revs below 2500
Air up to 40psi
Synthetic Fluids

In the interest of public safety, its not advisable to tailgate other drivers on the highway. BUT you can get better mileage if you are hanging off the bumper of the driver in front of you.....BUT DON'T DO IT!

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you put on a throttle body spacer you can get 4 mpg better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back