• Register Today It's free!

James Duff OHV engine chip

malohnes

Reaction score
City, State
SE Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xl m5 4x4
Hey all, has anyone heard anything about this? Claims 30 HP and 45lb/ft of torque improvement for $295!

here is the link: http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/engine.html

Thats quite the bump in performance for an OHV 4.0L and I wouldn't mind giving it a go if it holds up. The JET chips are flat as well as other non-custom chip/tunes as most of us know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dyno looks fake, but James duff is known for making good stuff sooooooo
Try it and let us know what happens :D

My thoughts exactly....

I'll be giving them a call and talk to a tech about it and make a decision.

It would be nice if it really worked.. I wouldn't expect James Duff to put out crap..

I wouldn't mind some more power and I'm slightly under geared (4.10 with 33's)..

However, is that power gain with the same octane or are they just letting you run with higher octane and taking advantage of it?

~Mark

Also search for "Apten chip" on this site for lots of useful information on this topic. That's what I run, and it's still going strong after 13-14 years.

I'm assuming JD's chip is a piggyback just like the Apten.

I am running a Granitelli MAF with larger throttle body, intake, etc. and I had to tell Apten to program my chip for the mods I had. I doubt I am making 30 over stock, but I am probably making 15-20 over stock. Never had it dyno'ed. I'm gonna re-gear soon anyway, so that will prob make me happier than anything.

Try running 31's with 3.27's. Yuck man. The Apten chip has made it bearable.

Vq - I searched on the forums here and found quite a bit of negative comments on various performance chips and it seems like a custom tune is the only way to go. Given my mild build with bolt ons, any positive result should show a greater effect than without?...

In a few years I hope to build something more serious and worthy of the expense of a dyne session and a custom burned chip. Still, its might be worth a try...

Maniak - my thought mirror yours. Questions I will ask them...

Rhett - I did not come across the Apten chip you spoke of. I'll look into it also.

Rhett - I did not come across the Apten chip you spoke of. I'll look into it also.

I don't think Apten is around anymore. I just brought it up because I think this James Duff chip is probably pretty much similar.

I called on my lunch break to get some particulars. A really nice sales rep couldn't give me the answers I wanted without deferring to the Tech dept. It sounds like it is a rebranded JET chip by the way he was referring to the chip. I should get answers tomorrow. Also, it appears it is not custom made beyond make and model, but I'll know more later.

If it is a JET chip, i'm not at all interested. I'll post more when I get the info.

Doing more research, it appears that the dyno chart on James Duff website is for the JET chip for 2005-2011 SOHC Ranger. No torque figures, just the HP curve.

I'm thinking this is a rebranded JET chip. Also looked for Apten and they are no longer in business as Rhett says.

Looking into the Hypertech chips, there isn't a chip for 1st gen Explorers anymore. Still can't find any old info on dyno charts or whatnot for Hypertech.

I actually think for $295 it is not too bad, if it delivers as advertised:

http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/engine.html

Interestingly the guy's truck posted on the above page, is from Ste. Genevieve MO and that is just up the road from me. Small world

With Apten gone I don't know who else is in the OBD-I/EEC-IV programming game, besides JD/JET. Maybe a tuning company could custom program a piggyback, with enough $$$$.

I agree Rhett, it's not too bad, but I was excited because JD does make pretty good stuff. Arguably not top shelf, but better than most. The figures they show are obviously best case, not typical.

I might bite because unless its a complete dud, but I won't know until I give it a go. My engine is not worth a Mega-squirt kind of set up at this point. That would be ideal.

By the way, what Granitelli MAF do you have on your truck?

Okay, got off the phone with James Duff.

Her's the scoop: They are selling rebranded JET chips.

The chips are programmed for stock engines, or with only CAI and exhaust mods. 11hp/13tq at the wheels gains according to JET, best case with basic bolt-on intake and exhaust mods.

Afterwards, I spoke to JET and confirmed the info. The modest gains are peak, but they claimed that drivebility and response is greatly improved.
They can also custom burn a chip for further engine mods like cams, heads, nitrous, FI, blah, blah applications as well. There is a form to fill out for those parameters. JD can sell those chips as well, but they need that form.

However, is that power gain with the same octane or are they just letting you run with higher octane and taking advantage of it?
On an old 1st gen I had the superchips chip..& it was programed for the bigger MAF & CAI & yeah it required premium fuel.
It did drive pretty good.

I run Water/Meth injection so the octane issue is not so much of one for me. But it is a good point. I actually run 89 premium because the 87 regular unleaded here is so bad. I don't have any options for higher octane fuel anyway.

Jason, good to know. It seems like so few actually have a better performing truck for the money. Then again, OHV engines that we run are devoid of so much when it comes to aftermarket performance support.

I'm going for it with an expectation of a slight improvement and hope for something more pronounced. We'll see.....

By the way, what Granitelli MAF do you have on your truck?

It's (I think) 70 mm diameter tube, with an open-intake optimized MAF sensor. Unlike the OEM maf housing, the Granatelli one has no screen.

If you're asking me what specific part# or whatnot, I have no idea, it's been in my truck for 13 years and none of my socks are that old. :)

With my Apten chip and MAF, I run 93 octane. I do have a dual-program chip, so if I'm on the road and can't find 93 oct I can flip the switch and run 87. The switch is a 3-way -- stock (87 octane)....performance (87 octane)....performance (93 octane).

The 87 performance file is probably pretty weak. But I do notice a little kick with the 93 performance file running.

Thanks!

I thought the screen was important as it is supoosed to diffuse the air flow into the housing of the stock MAS for proper operation. I'll have to see if removing it helps or hurts.

Thanks!

I thought the screen was important as it is supoosed to diffuse the air flow into the housing of the stock MAS for proper operation. I'll have to see if removing it helps or hurts.

Mine seems to operate fine. I did not take the screen out. My Gran MAF came that way, with no screen. I can only assume that Granatelli did that on purpose.

Also...there are some old threads here about removing the screen. I think it is also discussed in aldive's "My quest for 30" thread too, but it might be tough to find it in that mega-thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back