Jetta Parking Break Frozen! 1/6

EBInterceptor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ada, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Ok...So I get a 4 calls in a row from my brother this morning. It's 8 am and have to drive over to his girlfriends place. We got a decent amount of lake affect snow last night and today, and he's stuck in his girlfriends driveway. Well I attach the tow strap and drag his Jetta down the driveway. Turns out that his parking brake didn't disengage so I literally dragged him.

My brother needs to head out of town today, but his parking brake won't disengage. How can I get the brake to disengage? The car is a 1999 or 2000 Jetta. If it is frozen, what is the best and quickest way to break it free. It looked like one of the wheels was starting to loosen up, but not the other one.

Thank you for any info you can give me... I'd drag him all the way back here, but that's a 15 min. drive in good weather. And it's snowing hard again.

Spray some brake cleaner in there? It might melt the freeze.

_Justin

Just a follow-up....ended up getting some large de-icer cans (2 for $3) and sprayed the brakes to free them up. Got the car moving a couple times, but then when we stopped it, it got stuck again...just on packed snow. Then because we didn't want it to get stuck again, after getting the car rolling we made an in-motion driver switch as I jumped out of the car and my brother drove in. Says he could feel the brakes release after getting out onto a plowed road.

Back