Junk it or keep it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Junk it or keep it?

Crashed my explorer today, was doing around 70 MPH on the freeway and my right rear tire let go, I did a 180 from the fast lane into the center divider .got so close to rolling her I could literally stick my hand out if the window and touch the ground .snapped the tie rod smashed up the front end. But the worst damage is the quarter panel, I've got around $1400 into this thing total wondering if I should fix her up or part her out and cut my losses
060812171126.jpg

060812170958.jpg
060812170915.jpg
060812171016.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at your rear bumper brings on a question of what does the frame look like?

I've fixed worse than that, explorer body parts are so readily available at the junkyard you should be able to fix it easily for under $200 if your smart.

without a doubt your frame horns will be bent to the side a little (they bend *really* easily to the side) so you'll need to straighten them, i have my ways, or take it to a body shop with a frame machine they will probably do it for around $200. (i use a chain and another vehicle. jerking it to the side really hard, have done this on 2 trucks worked great both times)

the rear of the frame may need the same treatment, but it's likely the bumper mounts did all the bending which would make things a little easier.

is it a 4x4? if your considering junking it i may be interested as i'm in CA as well, fairly close by.

Frame horns are definitely bent but aren't to bad,its 2wd probably just going to part it out on cl

I vote replacement of the damaged items with fiberglass parts, and make it a prerunner :D

for the argument of fixing it up, it is good experience and knoledge you will gain by doing so. plus you won't feel defeated by the accident. at least thats how i look at it.
like i said i've fixed up far worse damage on the cheap. its an explorer, it'll be easy.

Is this fixable or do I have to replace the entire steering rack?
060812171139.jpg

If it's anything like a Mustang steering rack (shouldn't be any different) you can just replace the Inner Tie Rod. It is not real difficult. They just bolt on.

WoW !! That rear tyre literally blew up ! Glad you walked away-

Was the tire a re-tread? Just curious. I'd be interested in the details of why it came apart or at least what brand/model so I know to avoid it.

Was the tire a re-tread? Just curious. I'd be interested in the details of why it came apart or at least what brand/model so I know to avoid it.

I'm not trying to slam you dude,but you were running some real crappy tires by the looks of the first photo.This is your life on the line here(and those around you) and old beater tires will take it quick.......as you found out.

Glad you are ok,you can replace the truck.:eek:

Hit the auto shop (Auto Zone, O'Rielly's) and the recyclers (junkyards in old man talk) and get your parts. What you learn from replacing parts and saving money is worth more than paying someone else to do it.

Knowledge is priceless. Gain it and use it.

I'm considering fixing it but its just hard for me to keep dumping money into a vehicle that is worth $2500 in perfect shape and those fiberglass quarter panels are so damn expensive

here's what i see
fender, grill, header panel, turn signal light (both maybe), head light (maybe), hood (thats fixable depending if you know how to do body work), inner tie rod then a alignment, full rear 1/4, tail light, rear bumper.
unknowns, front and rear frame horns, from what i remember shops will charge you 2.8 hours to set it up on a frame machine, then 1 hour for each pull point after that, so you would have a min of 4 hours i would say, and they may charge between 50-100 a hour. the stuff in the front is all bolt on, which is easy. the rear 1/4, if you have never done one, and you have no body experience, dont try it. you will be lost before you start. if you do it wrong, your door, hatch, and window will not line up correctly. i will guess you have 2000 in damage there, easy. its your truck, we cant tell you what to do with it. if it was mine, i would get another ex (thats if you like them) and keep this one for parts.

I'm considering fixing it but its just hard for me to keep dumping money into a vehicle that is worth $2500 in perfect shape and those fiberglass quarter panels are so damn expensive

Well nobody ever said cars were a good investment :D

If it was me, I'd bolt on some junkyard parts to get it looking better, leave the rear quarter and frame rails alone, get an alignment and a new tie rod, and wheel it the way it is. The fiberglass can come later if you get attached to the truck.

The investment can't be anything worst than spending $5000 on a paint job for a vehicle your purchased for $800 and then spent $6000 "fixin' her up".

JUNK IT not worth fixing at all!

Back