I bought my X to avoid this... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I bought my X to avoid this...

Happened last month on January 2nd. Heading outta town to go snowboarding with the guys, got the X all loaded up with gear, food, tunes and booze. Not even 10 minutes into our trip, we come across a F250 parked on the median of the freeway. Everyone slows down naturally, And my friends and I all vow to take extra care on the highway and go under the limit.

Not 30 seconds later I find myself goin 40 km/h, and stuck in the middle lane. I need to get in the right lane to exit, but there is a Chevy 1500 Extended cab towing a 12 foot trailer beside me and tons of traffic behind it. Naturally I throw my signal on and start to speed up cause the lady beside me isn't goin any faster anytime soon. But like every other dumb driver in this city the lady see's my signal and literally punches the gas. Ok wtf.

So I let off to get behind her, and that's when the tail starts steppin' out to the left. My first instinct was to countersteer and slowly apply the brake to counteract it (I drove a BMW last winter and had plenty of winter drifting under my belt). It whips to the right, then back to the left where I hit the 1500's front door with my front bumper. My X bounce's off the Chevy, and starts coming around again when my qaurter smacks the rear of the 1500. To make matters worse, the lady is STILL speeding up so her trailer meets my rear bumper and spins me a full 180 degrees and across 3 lanes, causing me to brush against the median. Thankfully the other people stopped when I started fishtailing or there'd be a lot more wrecked cars that day.

To make matters even worse, when I approched the lady after to exchange information and to find out if everyone is ok (she had 2 young teens in the back), I was greeted by a "THAT"S JUST F****** GREAT A******!!". Whoa. Sure I'm 18, but calling me an A****** right off the jump does not make me a happy camper, especially when I apologized and wanted to know if everyone was ok. I felt she treated me with complete and utter dis-respect only because I was 18.

Fast forward to the cop station and she's still treating me like crap, and the officer could see that. So when she (the cop) asked me what happened, and the lady who I hit started bealting out and pointing at me "HE HIT ME! HE HIT ME!", the cop looka at her and say's "Cool it Lady, I asked Him, NOT you. I'm sure he know's what he's done, and I'm sure he's heard enough from you today." Thank god for her, or I swear I was gonna go insane on this lady.

So we all go outside to assess the damage. In the end the 1500 needs a new door. I need a new Bumper, Fender, Turn signal Light, Paint on the door trim, Quarter Panel work and a new rear bumper. The Cop see's this and when the lady starts getting pissy about her damage the life saving cop steps in yet again with "This young man has almost 4 times the damage you do. Your lucky all you need to do is go to the wrecker and find another black door. He needs a whole side of his truck replace, fixed and painted, so consider that before you start with me again." She then hand's them the police report and tells them to hit the road.

The cop then turns back to me and thanks me for my mature co-operation. She also wonder's how I could put up with that razy lady. We wound up chatting for a bit and she gave me a few places I could go to get replacement parts for cheap. I tell her how my dad works at Maaco, so I can get most of this fixed for free. She got a good kick outta this with what she said to the lady. She wishe's me a better new year, and tells me to enjoy a relaxing weekend doing what she love's to do as well - Snowboarding in the mountians and kicking back at the end of a day with a bunch of beer. MY kinda woman, hot damn! Anyway, pics of the damage:

img8401kg7.jpg

img8402kd6.jpg

img8403bz0.jpg

img8404sz3.jpg

img8405nc9.jpg

Sad part is, I just put on a new front bumper because the previous owner hit a sign or something, and left a nice big hole on the same side, lol.

And here's a shot I took a few weeks ago I really like.
img8330v3gj4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No big deal on any of that... heck, time for a lift, some meats, a cage, winch mount, and you're good to start wheelin' it in the spring without any fear of body damage. :)

Glad everyone was allright.

-Joe

First I am glad nobody was hurt--
second,
I am wondering why you weren't arrested for having a bunch of booze in your possession. You are 18 right?

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

He's in Canada, eh, pretty sure 18 is legal.

Glad to see everyone was OK in the accident.

He's in Canada, eh, pretty sure 18 is legal.

Glad to see everyone was OK in the accident.

Not sure what part of Canada you frequent, but last I saw, the legal drinking age was 19 in Canada.

Hey, glad everyone was alright as well.
I did a quick check a wikipedia becuase i to thought 19 was the legal drinking age as well. But... in ALberta, Manitoba, and Quebec it is only 18!

glad everyone was ok in the crash

Hey, glad everyone was alright as well.
I did a quick check a wikipedia becuase i to thought 19 was the legal drinking age as well. But... in ALberta, Manitoba, and Quebec it is only 18!

I was recently talking to some guys from Quebec (I work with a bunch of Canadians) talking about their 18 y/o kids going out drinking. I didn't really think about different areas having different laws.

Its been awhile since I had to worry about drinking age, and forgot that in Windsor (where Michigan kids would go) it is 19. Hell, I had a fake ID at 17, so never worried about legal age anywhere.

From what you said, you seemed to have done everything right, especially the slowing down for poor road conditions. Some drivers are just a-holes. Don't let them bother you. But this is one reason that one of my biggest pet peeves is another driver sitting next to me, no matter how I accelerate or decelerate, especially in inclement weather/road conditions. I like a nice big fat bubble o' nothin' around me just in case my vehicle decides to get squirrelly on me. :chug: To you for taking the high road, and count yourself lucky for the Maaco hookup. I'm sure that lady in the 1500 will think about sitting next to somebody next time.

was the cop hot? did you get a pic?

Good question! Screw your X...we want pics of the cop! :p :D

Not sure what part of Canada you frequent, but last I saw, the legal drinking age was 19 in Canada.

18 in alberta, but 19 in most other provinces

Good question! Screw your X...we want pics of the cop! :p :D

ya I agree, the x can rock crawl now. pics of cop, hot or not. and of course kudo's for keeping your cool when that lady was being a bizzatch. I hate drivers like that too, just take out your gun, check to make sure it's loaded and lay it on the seat. make sure the other driver see's this. good to go. oh wait, canada, nevermind.

I honestly never know that the Canadian drinking age varied by province... Learn something every day!

As mentioned, Ontario, last I saw, was still 19... but at any rate...

-Joe

Yeah Ontario is 19 still. But I don't think actually having the alcohol is illegal since i think under 19 you can drink if your parents provide it (for example).. though thats only what ive heard and probably wrong on that one. Many of times i have driven with alcohol in the trunk of the parents car when I was 18...

Haha, I wish I coulda got a picture with her to add to our photo album we never made. And In Alberta the legal age is 18 still.

Back