Just got new KYB shocks/ concerned with quality | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got new KYB shocks/ concerned with quality

mikepier

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
15 XL
After going through 2 sets of Monroe Sensa-Tracs on my 1999 Ford Explorer since 2005, I decided to give the KYB Excel G's a try. I've heard great reviews of them, an also I took advantage of their $40 rebate offer, so when I ordered through Rock Auto, it cost me $67 for the 4 shocks including shipping.

As I was installing the shocks yesterday, I noticed the holes for mounting bracket (where it mounts to control arm for front, and upper frame for rear shocks) was slotted, rather than a closed hole like the Sensa-Tracs.
Also when I used the new supplied nuts/bolts/lock washers hardware to mount them, one of the bolts snapped. When I looked at the bolt head, it said 4.4 (or 4.6) for the strength. The old bolts that came off the Sensa-Tracs had 9.6 bolts/nuts on them. I was surprised to see KYB uses a significantly lower strength hardware for their products. I didn't use an air gun, just a regular rachet to tighten these bolts dowm
Anyone run into these issues? I like the way my truck rides now, but just concerned if somewhere down the line the hardware might fail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never had an issue with KYB. Used them on my x and my cars.

no issues with KYB. will buy them again.

I have KYB, but the higher class Gas-A-Just, good stuff. Had Sensa-Trac before, never again...
Now, slotted or closed it makes no difference. Either the bolt grade - the shocks mounts will never see a force able to break two of those bolts.

PS: 4.4 Grade (metric) yields 240MPa=34809 lb/in2. I guess that results in some 1500lbs total yield (not sure what size are those bolts).

On Explorer, camber is not adjusted by shocks.

On Explorer, camber is not adjusted by shocks.

You're right. I just came from the Escape forum while reading about struts/shocks and my KYB struts on my Saturn were slotted which I did use to dial in camber for autoxing.

The slotted holes are for camber adjustment.

If you had a barrel of shocks, Monroes you'd have to scrape off the bottom. KYB is about mid-depth.

So what would be at the top?

Any Monotube technology shock is on top part.
Some are better in controlling, but give rougher ride, so it's not an absolute "best".
IMO Bilstein or KYB "MonoMax" are better for sporty feel (but might feel harsh on long drivers), KYB "Gas-A-Just" are better for longer trips and around town...
Gabriel also makes "MaxControl" monotube shocks - for whoever feels that the above choices are not enough :)

If you look for off-roading, you need to look for something else.

Are Rancho any good?

I use KYB Gas-A-Justs and they've been great. Would buy them again.

Back