• Register Today It's free!

Keep or Sell?

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
Well my wife's 2005 Explorer XLT 4.6L V8 2x4 is done. The engine has let loose at 235,000 miles. She does not want to fix, so she got a new vehicle today. I am thinking about keeping the Explorer and replacing the motor myself. It would be a good project car for me. I have done pretty much everything else on a car but never changed the motor myself. If I can get me a used motor for around a grand and do the work myself it might worth keeping for another 5 or more years.

The other thought is put the money into my 04 Sport Trac(264,000K) when it finally lets loose. I would like to get around 400K miles on the ST.
Then replace the motor and transmission in it. Then keep it as a beater truck. It is also in in great condition. I really like the sport trac.

Options:
A: Keep and replace the V8 in the 2005.
B: Sell the '05 ( what could I get for it?) and put the money into the Sport Trac.

Here is a photo of the 2005 from last Friday when it got loaded up on the flat bed.
05.jpg

The 2005 Explorer has been towed home. I am planning on keeping it and changing the motor myself.

An engine swap is be most beneficial if you intend to keep and drive it. It will not make you much money if you are wanting to sell it, as most buyers will not pay much for a high mileage vehicle with an engine swap. It could certainly last you many more years, though!

Back