Kenne Bell supercharged 5.0 Explorer... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kenne Bell supercharged 5.0 Explorer...

Turbo Tim

Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Limited
So my mom decided to swap her 94 Mustangs Kenne Bell 2.1L twin screw supercharged 302 to a NA 347. Well, that leaves a supercharger kit, and I have a modded '99 Explorer, hmm perfect. Well to start with, it has a .544"/.560" lift 220/224 duration Comp Cam (35-312-8), Torque Monster headers, valve springs/retainers, but the stock GT40 based long block. Since her SC kit was a stock Mustang lower intake, I gave her my GT40 upper and lower intakes to use for the 347 and I used her stock lower intake. I had a local machine shop make me a 2.25" spacer to go from the lower intake to the Kenne Bell upper intake. Then since the Stang uses a different snout support, I had to make a custom one to bolt onto our Explorer powersteering bracket. I used a 907 serpentine belt to route over the supercharger pulley and to eliminate the AC pulley.
Yeah. Yeah... Its very dirty under the hood, I will work on it.
Explorer-Supercharger_zpsd2981b30.jpg.html

Hopefully there is a pic above this.
If not, because this site doesn't like my pictures. Try this link: http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/kinggsx/media/Explorer-Supercharger_zpsd2981b30.jpg.html

Update: The truck and blower kit are for sale.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know why the pic wont show up, anyone know where I can post a pic?

Load it to photobucket then copy the img URL then paste it on here

Your mom sounds pretty cool..just saying!
Yeah..get the pic up!

This is really the direction I've been wanting to go with my truck, I just swapped a 5.0 in mine and this is next. Sick truck! Are you using the stock computer and coil packs ?

Yes, stock coils.
I use the TwEECer to modify the stock pcm.
I am going to make a larger ring for the stock crank pulley to get more boost out of it because it only has 6psi.

Man I would love to know some specs on the stuff you had to have made so it will work on the explorer.

Man I would love to know some specs on the stuff you had to have made so it will work on the explorer.

What specs do you need?

Anything really. What had to be modified. Belt routing. Wiring.

How did you get the snout to line up with the rest of the accessories, what is the 2.25 spacer for?

The kit was from a 5.0 Mustang so the belt lined right up.
The spacer was needed to clear a few things.
I actually routed the belt the same way, I just ran it over the sc pulley as well. I can take a pic of that if you are interested.
No wiring needed.
I did have to beat the hell out of the firewall to clear the casted blower inlet.

Thank you corkey for properly posting the pic.

How did you get the snout to line up with the rest of the accessories, what is the 2.25 spacer for?

i think what he met was the front dress on a explorer is shorter then a mustang. what did you have to do to get the blower pulley lined up with the rest of the pulleys.

SN-95 Stangs had a short front dress like our trucks I believe. I really want one of those for mine too!

Well Done Tim, that's the route I was dreaming of when I got my truck.

The 94/95 302's had virtually the same belt location. I thought that they were the same, but from having a balancer made the SN95 crank pulley I used needed to be machined slightly. So it seems that the difference is very small, 1/8"-1/4" I think. I tried to use the Mustang water pump at one point, but the Explorer unit is a hair shorter(the pulley surface).

To make more boost with that, you could build a new balancer like we(347's) have to, which can give you the choice of crank pulleys from a 94/95 Mustang. The Cobra pulley diameter is the same as the Explorer, the stock 302 unit is about an inch larger, and the aftermarket has others(mostly smaller).

interesting. i never knew that. i just remember you need a pulley made if you wanted a 347 and a blower. now you have me wondering. what year cobra, 94-95 will bolt up and work? also, are they a 6 or 8 rib? sorry for hijacking btw.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The balancer I had made for the trigger wheel began as the old OEM 28oz units, and they take any four bolt pulley. The 94/95's were the only pulley though short(shallow) enough to be possible to line up with our belt. So those are four bolt, six ribbed. I think those never got used for a blower on a Mustang, just for the normal accessories, and the KB kit. So pulley choices are slim still.

The 94 and 95 Cobra had the best pulley to match our front drive. Other under drive pulleys are smaller yet, too small.

ASP will make most pulleys though for the right price, if you had to have something special.

Back