Kenne Bell Supercharged Explorer... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kenne Bell Supercharged Explorer...

I have been on here for a while now always talking smack of how I plan to do a 2003 4.6 SOHC V8 Explorer project with a Kenne Bell 1.7 L supercharger. Well I lied!!! I decided the 1.7 L supercharger just wouldn’t support enough power, so I went with a 2.2 L supercharger. Just to give people an idea this is the same supercharger (different manifold to fit the 4.6 SOHC) that allot of the 03-04 Cobra fellas are running and making 600+ rwhp with.

Here is an outline of the project:

Install Kenne Bell 2.2 L supercharger for Mustang GT onto Explorer 4.6. Send stock bottom end of engine off to VT engines and have them build a billet 4.6 bottom end for me, send the stock 5R55W tranny off to Level 10 and have them rebuild it to withstand the huge levels of torque that this setup will create. Install small NOS dry shot of nitrous (45-65 shot). Wait for rear end to snap like a twig, yay! Contact DSS and pay out the butt for new custom half shafts and 3.27-3.55 LS differential. Brembo or Baer brakes to stop this pig! Weld racing 5 star lightweight aluminum rims with MT or Hoosier slicks out the back. So on so forth.

Here is the abbreviated parts list:

Kenne Bell 2.2 twin-screw supercharger S1
VT built short block S2
Level 10 rebuilt 5R55W tranny S2
NOS dry kit S3
SCT Xcal2 S1
SCT BA2800 MAS S1
42 lb injectors S1
60 lb injectors S2
VT stage 2 heads w/ blower cams S3
Dual SVT Focus pumps (still returnless) S2
Aeromotive fuel rails S2
KB BAS S2
DSS rear end S3
Headers (most likely going custom on this) S3
Aluminum drive shaft S3
Brembo brakes S3
Clicks/rims S3
Custom adapted Cobra CAI S1
DYNOTUNE, DYNOTUNE, DYNOTUNE!!! S1,2,3
Various other smaller mods S1,2,3

The list of mods is all grouped together but there are actually three different stages of mods there.

Stage 1: 400 rwhp street machine (KB 9 lbs/stock bottom end/stock tranny)

Stage 2: 600-rwhp dynoqueen (KB 15lbs/built engine & tranny)

Stage 3: 600+rwhp (maybe more) weekend racer / fun truck (KB 18lbs/built everything+ heads cams, headers, brakes, rear end, rims/slicks, nitrous)

Hope this gives everyone an idea of what I have been planning for 2+ years.

Here are a few pictures to get the juices flowing. Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Kenne Bell 001.jpg
    Kenne Bell 001.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 3,914
  • Kenne Bell 006.jpg
    Kenne Bell 006.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,886
  • Kenne Bell size reference.jpg
    Kenne Bell size reference.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 3,477

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

holy crap, SICK!

I can't believe you still have a $5 bill left! :D Good luck!!

That's going to be one fast Explorer :D

I'm confused though... it looks like you have two superchargers in that second photo. What is that between the airfilter and the fuel pump??

I found a nice setup that would drop right in to our Mach 1. A supercharged 600HP DOHC crate motor from SHM. For "only" 15k!

Oh BTW, the other supercharger (centrifugal) you see in the second picture is the XB-1A from my old Explorer 5.0 project. That and the Pro-M MAS you see there will be going into the Lincoln LS project later next year. Once I go to stage 2 for the Explorer I will sell or trade the 42 lb injectors for some 36 or 32 lb injectors to use in the LS project.

section525 said:
I can't believe you still have a $5 bill left! :D Good luck!!

Hehe, actually I borrowed that from my fiance. :D The Kenne Bell itself set me back $5,300, and the rest of the project will cost an additional $15,000+, most of which I already have. ;)

This is gonna be one awesome project. I loved your old 5.0, can't wait to see you build up your 4.6!

SEND ME $$$$, thanks :)

snocross1985 said:
This is gonna be one awesome project. I loved your old 5.0, can't wait to see you build up your 4.6!

Gosh, there are still people here that still post and remember that?!? hehe. I thought everyone forgot about that thing. lol. So many new members in here that have joined in the last 2 years. I thought most probably would look at me like I was drunk when I mentioned the old XB-1A 5.0 Explorer project. :D

Oh no I remember you Rocket :)

Looks awesome Robert. You'll love the whine as a buddy put a KB on his Lightning, and at times the sound gets annoying :)

You'll def. be the first to put a KB on a Gen 3. I wanna see a KB on a 1st gen and how many minutes it takes to blow it up

rocket 5979 said:
Gosh, there are still people here that still post and remember that?!? hehe. I thought everyone forgot about that thing. lol. So many new members in here that have joined in the last 2 years. I thought most probably would look at me like I was drunk when I mentioned the old XB-1A 5.0 Explorer project. :D

**** i remember... (this forum has almost been a fifth of my life)

Sure is good to see allot of the old gang is still here. :thumbsup:

I'm still here. Damn site is just too addicting. If I remember correctly, you had some video clips of your 5.0 around. I showed those to my friends and they as well thought your truck was sick.

Almost forgot, what are you going to do about cooling that bad boy? I know some KB kits come with intercoolers, but didn't know if yours did.

Going to be one hell of a ride... :thumbsup:

Ditto, Robert, inspire us. Night,

Holy crap...this is gonna be sick. Awesome :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bmxking5 said:
Holy crap...this is gonna be sick. Awesome :cool:
Will be Hella sick. when it gets done :D
Have a great Turkey Day Robert

Back